Clear All

• darkbasic
    replied
    Originally posted by coder View Post
    Michael , JPFSanders , zexelon , pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx , loligans :

Hot news: https://www.servethehome.com/intel-a...novation-2022/

In the comments, at the bottom of the article, the author states:

Patrick Kennedy October 4, 2022 At 4:38 am
    They said at the event that there would be a difference in SR-IOV between data center and consumer cards but did not get into specifics.
    That's some really good news! Maybe after all I will buy an ARC graphic card

Leave a comment:

• coder
    replied
    Michael , JPFSanders , zexelon , pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx , loligans :

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
    Does virtual machines hardware acceleration work with these GPUs? If so they are really interesting to me compared to AMD.
    Hot news: https://www.servethehome.com/intel-a...novation-2022/

In the comments, at the bottom of the article, the author states:

Patrick Kennedy October 4, 2022 At 4:38 am
    They said at the event that there would be a difference in SR-IOV between data center and consumer cards but did not get into specifics.
    Last edited by coder; 04 October 2022, 12:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Royi
    replied
    Will they have PyTorch and TensorFlow support on launch? Will the support be limited to Linux?

Leave a comment:

• Eirikr1848
    replied
    When I’m not gaming or using my PC, I mine Ravencoin (KAWPOW algorithm) — I wonder how this performs with that using OpenCL

Leave a comment:

• coder
    replied
    Originally posted by OmniNegro View Post
    While there are many who think this is just going to go away, I rather doubt that. Intel has loads of money. They want to compete, not just to make more money, but also to deprive AMD of revenue.
    Intel has a long history of canceling and divesting of projects. Like lots and lots. Too many to list here, but some some recent highlights from the past decade:
    • Larrabee (previous attempt at GPUs, 13-14 years ago)
    • IA64 (i.e. "Itanium" and its descendants)
    • Phone SoC product line
    • IoT SoC product line
    • Xeon Phi
    • OmniPath networking products
    • Nervana AI products - a company they bought just a few years earlier.
    • MobilEye self-driving products (spinoff)
    • NAND SSDs (sold to Toshiba, actually)
    • Optane memory

Each of those is probably a business they'd sunk more than $B into, by the time they washed their hands of it.

And that's not even counting the number of different x86 CPU variants and generations they've killed off, before they ever saw the light of day.

Originally posted by OmniNegro View Post
    I think Intel can at least break even by offloading these onto OEMs for idiots to buy thinking it is good. And that will deprive AMD and Nvidia of a sale. That is all Intel is after right now.​
    They have to worry about their profit margins, which are typically pretty cushy (I think traditionally around 60%, which is extremely high for a hardware/chip company). Wall St. investors won't look kindly if they seem to be on a downward trend. And the investors ultimately control the company. Plus, they can sue Intel if they feel it's not acting in their best interests.

So, while Intel understands the need to invest in new businesses, there are definite limits to its patience. It can't just do something costly to spite AMD because AMD is a competitor. Everything Intel does ultimately has to be about its own self-interest (or, rather the interests of the shareholders). Furthermore, those activities have a limited time horizon before they start paying the expected return on investment.
    Last edited by coder; 01 October 2022, 05:32 AM.

Leave a comment:

• OmniNegro
    replied
    While there are many who think this is just going to go away, I rather doubt that. Intel has loads of money. They want to compete, not just to make more money, but also to deprive AMD of revenue.

Intel GPUs typically have sucked in the past. These sound better, but I have never owned any Intel GPU/APU. So I cannot know.

But I think Intel can at least break even by offloading these onto OEMs for idiots to buy thinking it is good. And that will deprive AMD and Nvidia of a sale. That is all Intel is after right now.

I hope they manage to make a good GPU, and I really hope they turn the driver into something good too.

I am an AMD fan all the way. But competition is always good.

Leave a comment:

• CommunityMember
    replied
    Originally posted by coder View Post
    Well, they don't list the feature on any of the Pro versions so far announced. It's hard to have something that's a point of product differentiation, if you don't even tell your customers about it.
    Intel announced SR-IOV for at least some of their DC targeted Flex series (it is on this page: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us...ex-series.html ) which is a re-branding of the Arctic Sound-M and phoronix itself pointed out Intel's patches to the linux kernel to support RE-BAR support for SR-IOV GPUs late last year. Arguably Intel has far too many pages of targeted marketing so that it is hard to find what one might want to know, although it looks like the currently announced A-Pro line is targeted at a different market using consumer GPUs (with consumer GPU limitations). If you want SR-IOV, you apparently need to look at alternative SKUs such as Flex.
    Last edited by CommunityMember; 30 September 2022, 10:39 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Mr.Elendig
    replied
    Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    I for one don't think the prices are that impressive. This is roughly what I wish AMD would charge. I hate this high upward trend in prices.
    With the price drop on AMD 6xxx serie and the horrible state of the Intel drivers, these cards are basically DOA at this price. Not that intel plan on selling many of them to the DIY community, they will just unload most of their stocks in the OEM market and then abandon the whole thing probably.

Leave a comment:

• microcode
    replied
    The other stuff is great and all, but that AV1 encoder I'd love to see. If it can beat SVT-AV1 at the highest preset I can run realtime, that's a huge win right there; if it can do better than that, fantastic.

Leave a comment:

• darkbasic
    replied
    Originally posted by JPFSanders View Post
    If they had implemented SRV-IOV in any of their cards even with limited capacity of 1 or 2 partitions (understandably to not cannibalise their high end data centre stuff) I would have bought two ARC cards the very second I could find them.

IMHO big failed opportunity this could have been the big differentiator. Almost anybody with a ESXI or KVM rig at home would have bought ARC cards without thinking twice had they come with SRV-IOV support.
    That answers my question unfortunately
    How stupid, they can keep their useless ARC cards in such case.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X