Intel Outlines Arc A750 Graphics Card For $289, More Arc Graphics Details

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Outlines Arc A750 Graphics Card For $289, More Arc Graphics Details

Phoronix: Intel Outlines Arc A750 Graphics Card For $289, More Arc Graphics Details

Earlier this week at the Intel Innovation event it was announced the Arc Graphics A770 would be launching 12 October and the base model costing $329 USD. Today the embargo lifts on more details around Intel's forthcoming higher-end Arc Graphics hardware...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'd rather pay a little more for hardware that works (AMD) versus hardware that doesn't work correctly (Intel) once the driver situation is factored in with the price. Intel has been carefully steering the release conversation away from raw performance metrics and any talk about their problematic GPU driver situation. Even Arstechnica has noted that Intel sounds a bit like a broken record if they're asked anything off script about the lack of hard data, driver issues, and metrics. If I weren't a gamer I might be tempted as an early adopter. But since I am a gamer, it'd be at least a year before I'd seriously consider any of these cards. More likely to take another look if/when Gen 2 is released. I'd be reluctant in the beginning even then, content to wait and see just how much of the driver stack is going to be FOSS. Intel is complicated when it comes to FOSS.

Comment

Since the 90's, Intel video chips have been the only ones which consistently offer poor compatibility. Fortunately I've only had 2 in 22 years and ditched them pretty quick as a trash video chip makes for a worthless experience.

Would kind of want more performance per dollar to even take a risk.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post
        I'd rather pay a little more for hardware that works (AMD) versus hardware that doesn't work correctly (Intel) once the driver situation is factored in with the price.
        The Intel iGPU in my 4-generation old laptop can actually change the color space with a userspace command on Linux. You aren't doing that on anything GCN or newer with AMD without a custom EDID or (iirc) a patch that no distro implements.

I don't know the current state of Intel drivers for Arc on Linux, but I trust it'll be in good shape before too long if it isn't already. I'd trade my 6600 XT for an Arc GPU right now if it was that easy to do so

Comment

I am sick of Nvidia CUDA lock in, driver issues and price+tdp creep, and I am not satisified with ROCm (or Windows DX9/OpenGL perf) on my last AMD card.

Anandtech had a good saying: "There are no bad products, just bad prices." I like the direction oneAPI is going, and these prices are enough for me to tolerate iffy drivers for, say, two years. So I believe my next card will be an A770.​​ Maybe even an A750 for someone else.

Comment

$349USD is quite a good price point for the A770 but I do wonder how it will perform and how much driver development can extend its performance and features since we know the drivers for all these ARC GPU's is quite early days still with loads of problems.

I wouldn't buy a ARC because I don't want to be a beta tester for drivers over 2-3yrs like I have been with AMD. But at least they got the pricing correct if this A770 is meant to compete with a 3060Ti or something...

Comment

If they had implemented SRV-IOV in any of their cards even with limited capacity of 1 or 2 partitions (understandably to not cannibalise their high end data centre stuff) I would have bought two ARC cards the very second I could find them.

IMHO big failed opportunity this could have been the big differentiator. Almost anybody with a ESXI or KVM rig at home would have bought ARC cards without thinking twice had they come with SRV-IOV support.

Comment

I have a hunch there's an A780 waiting in the wings. I suspect Intel will use its release to get reviewers to essentially re-benchmark their A770, after the drivers have undergone more optimizations. I suppose it'll have higher clocks & TDP, as well as probably the 16 GB that we'll see in the LE.

I never really thought about it before, but it could be one of the reasons Nvidia likes to release their highest-performing cards last. Except, this time they needed to release the RTX 4090 first, because it's the only 4000-series model that won't compete with (and therefore drive down prices of) their 3000-series, while they try to clear out inventory.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post
                  I'd rather pay a little more for hardware that works (AMD) versus hardware that doesn't work correctly (Intel) once the driver situation is factored in with the price. Intel has been carefully steering the release conversation away from raw performance metrics and any talk about their problematic GPU driver situation.
                  I actually read an interesting take on their driver situation, today. For reasons, I happened to check SemiAccurate, which I haven't done in a long time.

There's no good excuse for the drivers not being ready at the GPU's originally-scheduled launch date, but Russia's invasion of Ukraine apparently caused further delays.

It's amusing to see SemiAccurate side with Intel, for once.

Comment

Originally posted by JPFSanders View Post
                    If they had implemented SRV-IOV in any of their cards even with limited capacity of 1 or 2 partitions (understandably to not cannibalise their high end data centre stuff) I would have bought two ARC cards the very second I could find them.

IMHO big failed opportunity this could have been the big differentiator. Almost anybody with a ESXI or KVM rig at home would have bought ARC cards without thinking twice had they come with SRV-IOV support.
                    Oh yes, SR-IOV would be an awesome bonus if they would implement that!

Comment

Working...
                    X