AMD Announces The Radeon RX 6700 XT For $479

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by artivision View Post
    You had an entire year to solve that problem. So as transcoder engines of MS and Apple reaching 75% efficiency, once an arm company expresses a 5 teraflops Gpu you can say bye bye. Dual installation and its over for you for ever. We had a simple request: not to ask for a kidney for a new pc, you all failed for years.
    what you are telling makes no sense at all... because ARM chips also use TSMC fab ... and the shortage is not ARM or i386_64
    the shortage is the TSMC 3/5/7 nm fab...

you can claim ARM use less mm² die area but according to my sources the difference between ARM and 386_64 is only 5%
    Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

It's always hilariuos to read how couple of effing JavaScript kids are teaching AMD how to make a chip or run semiconductor business LOL

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

At the risk of asking a dumb question, how would we bring more volume to the market ?

We are running totally fab-limited in the middle of a global chip and wafer shortage and a twice-a-decade (if that) console major refresh.
        Y'all take your profits and invest in your own manufacturing facilities instead of waiting in the queue at other places. If that gets called a monopoly then start some sort of non-profit chip manufacturing group with Intel, IBM, and NVIDIA. Bam, everyone gets more chips faster and we can remove middleman profits so we get cheaper CPUs and GPUs while none of y'all actually lose any profits due to the middleman free discounted prices..

I smoke a lot of weed and I came up with that idea in a minute.
        Last edited by skeevy420; 03 March 2021, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
          The fact is, if the 6700 XT delivers noticeably better performance than the 3070 in popular games.
          No. This is clearly not the truth.

I would argue that RDNA2 is a horrible architecture. There is a list of points to prove it:

1. Half-assed RT implementation that runs at half the speed compared to Ampere, which means AMD saved transistor budget here.
          2. Dedicating too much expensive 7nm transistor budget to "infinity cache" to hide memory access latency and fudge fps. Meaning general algorithms aren't up to par.
          3. No tensorcores, which is nvidia's marketing words for dedicated matrix mulitication acceleration. How are you going to do FidelityFX properly without matrixmul acceleration?
          4. TSMC 7nm has a much higher transistor density compared to 8nm Samsung process, Yet AMD needed to reduce RayTracing units, Matrix Mul Units transistor budgets to max classic Rasterization performance with "128MB" of in-silicon cache cheating. (You know why Nvidia doesn't do infinity cache? Because 128MB isn't enough to cache deep learning models)

This whole "1440P MAX SETTING" is simply about poking at Nvidia's pain point of not wanting to release a 16GB GA104 card(3070TI) because Nvidia was thinking about protecting its 16GB Tesla P100, V100 AI revenue. It does not make RX6700(192bit RDNA2) a better chip. Nvidia should just release the 3070TI 16GB and 3080Ti 20GB, because ECC and P2P RDMA is the cutoff between Geforce and Quadro/Tesla line, so there is no cannibalization of the AI market by Geforce users.

Comment

This is an absurdly high MSRP (especially for AMD) but it doesn't matter. AMD knows these won't go in the hands of gamers any time soon so while scalpers and miners drive prices up, they might as well profit themselves.
            If AMD keeps up the price after gamers can finally get a hold of these, then we all have a right to be outraged.

Comment

Originally posted by drakonas777 View Post
              It's always hilariuos to read how couple of effing JavaScript kids are teaching AMD how to make a chip or run semiconductor business LOL
              In all fairness, he asked. You outta know our unofficial motto around the forums:

Phoronix: You've got questions, we've got ret4rt3d answers.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Y'all take your profits and invest in your own manufacturing facilities instead of waiting in the queue at other places.
                Once upon a time AMD had money and owned its own manufacturing facilities.

But seriously, if I were Lisa Su I would have called my CEO buddies a year ago who are also affected by the same shortages and put much more pressure on the one's which are the bottlenecks now. It is not that a disruption of global supply chains came totally out of nowhere with the US-China trade relations deterioating. At least that started the process of re-thinking global supply chains. The only bright side I see of this is the initiatives in Europe and the US to build up their tech sector (hopefully they try to do some things better to be competitive).

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post

Once upon a time AMD had money and owned its own manufacturing facilities.

But seriously, if I were Lisa Su I would have called my CEO buddies a year ago who are also affected by the same shortages and put much more pressure on the one's which are the bottlenecks now. It is not that a disruption of global supply chains came totally out of nowhere with the US-China trade relations deterioating. At least that started the process of re-thinking global supply chains. The only bright side I see of this is the initiatives in Europe and the US to build up their tech sector (hopefully they try to do some things better to be competitive).
                  I know. Trump fscked up trade with China which is where a lot of the rare earth elements come from that are used in manufacturing. A lot of those that can be found in North America just happen to be in National Parks and federally protected lands.

AMD could also spend money on lobbyists to push for bills to open up mining in America. I'd hope that they'd include hippie clauses in their bills to reverse any damages to the lands and to replant displaced plants.

That's the long game and they'd be smart to do both the manufacturing group and fund lobbyists.

Comment

(edit) i was wrong so i deleted my post
                    Last edited by qarium; 03 March 2021, 10:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                      I know. Trump fscked up trade with China which is where a lot of the rare earth elements come from that are used in manufacturing. A lot of those that can be found in North America just happen to be in National Parks and federally protected lands.
                      do you know how western (USA/germany(EU)) secret society and secret military operations handle this...

"United States Space Force - 1943 – present"
                      there are deep unterground bases in in Greenland known as Thule Air Base of the "United States Space Force"
                      they use Giant tunnel boring machines to dig the deep unterground bases and use the stone they removed
                      to analyse it and to get "rare earth elements" from it.

you only don't know it because it is TOP SECRET and the rare earth elements from this operation never hit the free market.

because of this you think all the care earth elements come from china. no you just don't have access to the secret programs.

Comment

Working...
                      X