No announcement yet.

AMD Announces The Radeon RX 6700 XT For $479

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not sure about mining under Thule (which is in the north of Greenland) but there are a couple of serious rare earth deposits in the south of Greenland:

Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by artivision View Post
      You may forgotten one zero because is mostly 50%. Also i don't care if it is TSMC or China 15-30nm, smartphones don't have shortages. Once we see 4 super heavy Apple/Nuvia like cores and 5 teraflops from 2.5 today, its over.
      it was maybe 50% at the time of CISC... but modern 386_64 cpus use RISC structure internaly and do the 386_64 by microcode and ~5% higher transistors compared to pure RISC...
      if you compare the transostor cound of a RISC based IBM power9 and you compare it to 14nm 16-24core amd threadripper then you see there is no big difference.
      also the lowest tranistor count is not RISC but VLIW instead... but modern AMD GPU/CPU designs even use VLIW internaly and emulate CISC by microcode...

but just give me your source about the claim it is 50% lower at the same performance.

you maybe find some low performance ARM cpus who have 50% lower but at the same performance i don't think it is 50% lower.

and remamber apple m1.... this chip has lower transistor count not because of ARM but because of zero-buffer/zero copy architectur.

but zero-buffer/zero copy has nothing to do with the cpu ISA...
      Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
        I know. Trump fscked up trade with China which is where a lot of the rare earth elements come from that are used in manufacturing. A lot of those that can be found in North America just happen to be in National Parks and federally protected lands.
        Hardly. There is plenty more to be had. The CCP just subsidizes their exports so they're the cheapest price. If anyone fscked up trade with China it was Clinton/Bush/Obama who allowed and facilitated so much trade (including these strategic minerals) to all shift to a single Communist nation. If anything, Trump worked to improve the situation by not bending over for Xi Jinping like his predecessors did. Funny how things move in the right direction when the big man isn't in it for personal gain like Clinton/Bush/Obama all were. China Joe is borderline dementia, and his family has financial ties to the CCP, so we know he won't fix anything. What a mess.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          I'm not sure about mining under Thule (which is in the north of Greenland) but there are a couple of serious rare earth deposits in the south of Greenland:
          https://www.npr.org/2019/11/24/78159...-america-wants
          thank you very much. for the first serious comment about rare earth element mining in greenland.

my point is this: they don't do mining to only do mining this would be a waste of resources instead they do mining for example if they build a bunker in this area. with this metod it is much cheaper because you build the deep untergound bunker anyway and the mining operation is just a "plus".

if you do mining alone for mining it is much more expensive compared to the modell i explained.

Comment

I cant confirm this information anywhere>> Before the pandemic, I swore I read that it took like 18-24 months to go from design to manufacturing a video card.
            I can only imagine how it long it would take in 2021 so start that process on a new video card.

Maybe in 2 years I'll finally be able to upgrade upgrade my old GTX 770 video card with a reasonably prices ray tracing video card.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post

it was maybe 50% at the time of CISC... but modern 386_64 cpus use RISC structure internaly and do the 386_64 by microcode and ~5% higher transistors compared to pure RISC...
              if you compare the transostor cound of a RISC based IBM power9 and you compare it to 14nm 16-24core amd threadripper then you see there is no big difference.
              also the lowest tranistor count is not RISC but VLIW instead... but modern AMD GPU/CPU designs even use VLIW internaly and emulate CISC by microcode...

but just give me your source about the claim it is 50% lower at the same performance.

you maybe find some low performance ARM cpus who have 50% lower but at the same performance i don't think it is 50% lower.

and remamber apple m1.... this chip has lower transistor count not because of ARM but because of zero-buffer/zero copy architectur.

but zero-buffer/zero copy has nothing to do with the cpu ISA...
              It doesn't only have less transistors but also twice the integer path, 3-4 vs 7-8. And don't turn this into a technology fight, my point was that x86 companies and Nvidia failed for years to show a cheap middle range PC. Others today have the price, the availability, the power consumption, the cpu performance, the compatibility software and they only missing gpu performance which needs to be doubled.

Comment

Originally posted by castlefox View Post
                I cant confirm this information anywhere>> Before the pandemic, I swore I read that it took like 18-24 months to go from design to manufacturing a video card.
                I can only imagine how it long it would take in 2021 so start that process on a new video card.
                Maybe in 2 years I'll finally be able to upgrade upgrade my old GTX 770 video card with a reasonably prices ray tracing video card.
                in another forum thread bridgman told us that the complete product cycle is 4 years.
                you get more updates than 4 years because they have multible teams who develop paralell.
                also they do big steps and then also many small steps.
                for example go from VLIW 5D to VLIW 4D was a small step but from VLIW 4D to GCN was a big step.
                from GCN1.0-1.1-.1.2 and so one was many small steps but from GCN to RDNA+raytracing was a big step.
                if you want complete new graphic cards every 2 years and the product cycle is 4 years you need 2 indepentend teams.
                in the moment they split the teams into CDNA and RDNA this resulted in the lag of developers thats why ROCm on RX5700 and 6800XT is not yet done.
                thats also the point about all the people claim they know computer chip shortage for more than 1 years now and nothing happened...
                what they don't know is: to build a new FAB for example in 3nm you need like 4-6 years to build the fab and fully untilize it.

that why you can do nothing against the chip shortage in 1 year... maybe in 4+ years

Comment

Originally posted by artivision View Post
                  It doesn't only have less transistors but also twice the integer path, 3-4 vs 7-8. And don't turn this into a technology fight, my point was that x86 companies and Nvidia failed for years to show a cheap middle range PC. Others today have the price, the availability, the power consumption, the cpu performance, the compatibility software and they only missing gpu performance which needs to be doubled.
                  but thats only because the peoples attention is only on some high-end parts with massive chip shortage.
                  i have a TR 1920X.. and even the 1950X is very cheap:

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X, 16C/32T, 3.40-4.00GHz, 180watt
                  https://geizhals.de/amd-ryzen-thread...loc=at&hloc=de
                  chiplet design of 2 chips 449€
                  i bought 6 vega64 in 2017 and i still use 2 and the others i sold them the last to for only like 220€ and 250€
                  128gb DDR4 3200mhz is 400€ with ECC it is 700€
                  the cheapest TR4 mainbord is 230€

this means if you use a 1950X + vega64 +128gb ram it is only 1280€

to upgrade the vega64 to RX5700 is not worth it it is only 10% faster in average...

and 6000XT amd GPUs are totally overpriced right now and you can't use raytracing with MESA/ACO right now so you better stay away from this for another 6 month.

Comment

and 6000XT amd GPUs are totally overpriced right now
                    Supply and demand baby

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post

in another forum thread bridgman told us that the complete product cycle is 4 years.
                      you get more updates than 4 years because they have multible teams who develop paralell.
                      also they do big steps and then also many small steps.
                      for example go from VLIW 5D to VLIW 4D was a small step but from VLIW 4D to GCN was a big step.
                      from GCN1.0-1.1-.1.2 and so one was many small steps but from GCN to RDNA+raytracing was a big step.
                      if you want complete new graphic cards every 2 years and the product cycle is 4 years you need 2 indepentend teams.
                      in the moment they split the teams into CDNA and RDNA this resulted in the lag of developers thats why ROCm on RX5700 and 6800XT is not yet done.
                      thats also the point about all the people claim they know computer chip shortage for more than 1 years now and nothing happened...
                      what they don't know is: to build a new FAB for example in 3nm you need like 4-6 years to build the fab and fully untilize it.

that why you can do nothing against the chip shortage in 1 year... maybe in 4+ years
                      Thanks for the information.

Comment

Working...
                      X