AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT Linux Gaming Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cute2dgirl View Post
    Doesn't change that they are inefficient as fuck. Enabling Hairworks can still reduce performance in Witcher 3 by over 30% for no particularly good reason whereas Rise of the Tomb Raider has hair rendering that not only looks better than Hairworks does in any game that supports it, but also manages to do so without a noticeable performance impact (it's like 5% on vs off).

Turns out that using 64x tessellation together with geometry shaders and transform feedback all in one go isn't the best thing to do on any GPU.
    First of all, HUGE thanks for DXVK!

Another HUMONGOUS thanks for being able to configure DXVK so easily with dxvk.conf!

Reducing the tessellation factor to
    Code:
    d3d11.maxTessFactor = 8
    together with
    Code:
    dxgi.numBackBuffers = 4
    made the Witcher 3 way more playable on my Intel Ivybridge Core i5 + nVidia 750 Ti than it ever was on Windows 10, even though Maxwell was never designed with Vulkan in mind in the first place!

Therefore, once more, THANKS A LOT for the incredible work You are able to achieve! Simply mind-blowing...

Comment

Originally posted by blacknova View Post

And you didn't have problems with garbled bitmaps after resume from sleep? Unless nVidia really reworked their driver it is hard to believe.
      I don't particular care about hardware vendor if it provide what I need. As I don't really need GPU compute and don't game much under Linux - AMD is best solution for me. If I had Windows only system I'd probably chosen nVidia.
      It works fine resuming from sleep?

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post

I do have immense respect for You for being the inventor of NIR, but is Intel's Xe going to be so much better than AMD's Navi (inside both upcoming next-gen Xbox & PS5, so every engine out there will be optimized for the RDNA architecture), or why exactly do You believe these cards are "f#cking trash"?
        I love how the the trolls call the market leader in performance and image quality trash, and then claim Intel Xe, who's first Dev board is slower than a GTX 750ti, is somehow going to be faster than not only the 2080ti, but also Ampere/RDNA2.

Comment

Fair bit of performance plateau happening at 1080p for many cards on both sides of the fence. Guess vulkan is struggling to push much more out with the CPU.

5600XT looks like a decent card but I feel it needs a $30 price drop because RTX 2060 are now the same price which probably has better Ray Tracing and the potential of DLSS usage (still not present in Linux driver).

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
            Fair bit of performance plateau happening at 1080p for many cards on both sides of the fence. Guess vulkan is struggling to push much more out with the CPU.
            The good-ish news is that AFAIK most game engines push the same amount of geometry through at 1080p as they do at 4K, so the API/driver plateau should happen in roughly the same frame rate even at higher resolutions.

When the driver/API overhead starts to get in the way developers get together and tweak it until it isn't getting in the way for a while longer.
            Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
              You're quite right. Only NVIDIA was the first company to offer a really fast implementation (which AMD couldn't match for many years) and popularized it among game developers.
              As other already told you: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATI_TruForm

Your statements are quite doubtful as none of the technologies you mentioned where invented by Nvidia (sorry, but you put that word in your statement). I understand that you are a fan of that brand but I think that being fanatic is working against you.

IMO AMD GPUs are giving a good competence to Nvidia on the Linux market. Watching overall numbers plus that AMD is working on a OSS driver, choosing my new GPU is a no brainer decision for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post

I do have immense respect for You for being the inventor of NIR, but is Intel's Xe going to be so much better than AMD's Navi (inside both upcoming next-gen Xbox & PS5, so every engine out there will be optimized for the RDNA architecture), or why exactly do You believe these cards are "f#cking trash"?
                Different abott.

Intels current Xe hardware showcase is also garbage.

AMD's hardware is trash when they're on 7nm v 14nm, and still can't out perform 2 year old hardware. And Nvidia is about to unveil a completely new architecture which I'm sure won't be worse than the garbage AMD is releasing today. Unless it regresses performance 2x.

Comment

I was about to write a snarky comment here about AMD and linux launch support, but at this point I'll just settle for a humble plea.

Please, AMD. Please, please, please. Get better.

I keep hoping Xe will provide some competition, but I'm getting more and more skeptical that the hardware there will be up to snuff.

Comment

Originally posted by abott View Post
                    AMD's hardware is trash when they're on 7nm v 14nm, and still can't out perform 2 year old hardware. And Nvidia is about to unveil a completely new architecture which I'm sure won't be worse than the garbage AMD is releasing today. Unless it regresses performance 2x.
                    Rumor says rdna2 is supposed to be a massive improvement as well, and will also be out fairly soon. At the end of the day, we can only compare what is available right now, not what people are projecting to happen in 6 months or a year.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

Rumor says rdna2 is supposed to be a massive improvement as well, and will also be out fairly soon. At the end of the day, we can only compare what is available right now, not what people are projecting to happen in 6 months or a year.
                      A massive improvement would put them 2 years behind the curve. These cards are supposed to be at least half new, and they're still garbage.

Comment

Working...
                      X