No announcement yet.

AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT Linux Gaming Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just ordered this exact card, I really hope they get on top of the vbios fix asap. But I'm glad I saw this article so I know not to flash the BIOS

Comment

In case anyone is wondering since when NVIDIA became so power-efficient (remember, they definitely weren't in this position since forever [GeForce FX series, anyone?]), it appears the US-government lended a helping hand back in 2012:
      NVIDIA Receives DARPA Contract Worth up to $20 Million for High-Performance Embedded Processor Research

Research Aims to Achieve Radical Advances in Autonomous Vehicle Intelligence With 75-Fold Improvement in Processor Efficiency

The NVIDIA program, known as Project Osprey, will research low-power circuits and extremely efficient architectures and programming systems that enable 75 gigaflops per watt, using process technologies as advanced as 7 nanometer (nm) compared with today's 28-nm process.
      SANTA CLARA, CA--SANTA CLARA, CA--(Marketwire - Dec 12, 2012) - NVIDIA has been awarded a contract worth up to $20 million from the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) to research...

Comment

For those wondering the new vBIOS impact for now until it's worked around - https://twitter.com/phoronix/status/1219645628298539008
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
          Meanwhile NVIDIA invented and first implemented in HW:
          • programmable shaders (now used by 99.9% of 3D games)
          • tesselation (now used by absolute most triple-A titles)
          • real time ray tracing (to become common once the new Xbox and PS get released).
          And a lot more. NVIDIA -works (hair, grass, etc) were also panned to no end until AMD released GPUs which could handle them properly and nowadays no one really remembers the whole issue.
          Doesn't matter if you are first if your solution isn't adopted long term... and in general Nvidia's solutions are not adopted long term because they lack the industry support that AMD enjoys because other companies actually like working with them. While AMD was a bit weak during the Geforce 3 period, they were the first to DX9 and OGL 2.0... its flip flopped every now and then ever since these companies have existed. It's pretty clear RTX and DXR for that matter only have marginal adoption, and frequently are poorly implemented and have not been adopted as an industry standard.

Comment

Typos:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
            We'll see how thise changes though with the updated Sapphire BIOS
            Originally posted by phoronix View Post
            (but with much better power effieicny)
            *giggles for a while*

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
              In case anyone is wondering since when NVIDIA became so power-efficient (remember, they definitely weren't in this position since forever [GeForce FX series, anyone?]), it appears the US-government lended a helping hand back in 2012:

https://nvidianews.nvidia.com/news/n...essor-research
              Sweet. I bet that SkyNet is going to run on NVIDIA hardware exclusively.

Comment

I keep hearing that over and over except when RTX/DLSS are properly implemented they work beautifully:

AMD fans are a curious kind of people. Whenever NVIDIA invents something, it's a "gimmick", it "slows down everything", it doesn't make picture quality better.

Meanwhile NVIDIA invented and first implemented in HW:
                • programmable shaders (now used by 99.9% of 3D games)
                • tesselation (now used by absolute most triple-A titles)
                • real time ray tracing (to become common once the new Xbox and PS get released).
                And a lot more. NVIDIA -works (hair, grass, etc) were also panned to no end until AMD released GPUs which could handle them properly and nowadays no one really remembers the whole issue.
                mh the difference is amds gimmicks are usually open.....tress fx ...opencl...freesync...ah and there was mantle which set the groundwork for dx12 and vulkan...

Comment

Blah blah blah nvidia this, nvidia that.
                  Mate, Nvidia has a long, long history of playing shenanigans on the video-game industry, playing dirty with game developers, pushing proprietary crap on games (ahem physx) that do not contribute in the slightness to make the games themselves better.

But the issue with Nvidia is not that, that's not important. The issue with Nvidia is that they're screwing the Linux experience continuously
                  (ahem! EGL) or directly no support at all for some of their chipsets under Linux (Optimus) Also good luck trying to make any classic Nvidia card not supported by their proprietary driver work on linux.

Fortunately we're reaching the point where they are becoming a non-problem as AMD cards behave better and better every day under Linux, but sure their cards can do 10?-20fps? more on games, and you and anybody else are free to buy an Nvidia card.

Me I'm not supporting them until they produce a proper OSS driver and give Linux users the opportunity to run MESA on their cards.

Note, I do not hate Nvidia, I just want the best experience on Linux and Nvidia is not it.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

mh the difference is amds gimmicks are usually open.....tress fx ...opencl...freesync...ah and there was mantle which set the groundwork for dx12 and vulkan...
                    NVIDIA -works have been open sourced for ages and don't use any proprietary NVIDIA features - they use standard D3D11/12 features.

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol

It isn't true that Nvidia "invented tessellation" or "first implemented tessellation in HW". See http://rastergrid.com/blog/2010/09/h...-tessellation/
                      You're quite right. Only NVIDIA was the first company to offer a really fast implementation (which AMD couldn't match for many years) and popularized it among game developers.

Originally posted by JPFSanders View Post

Mate, Nvidia has a long, long history of playing shenanigans on the video-game industry, playing dirty with game developers, pushing proprietary crap on games (ahem physx) that do not contribute in the slightness to make the games themselves better.

But the issue with Nvidia is not that, that's not important. The issue with Nvidia is that they're screwing the Linux experience continuously
                      (ahem! EGL) or directly no support at all for some of their chipsets under Linux (Optimus) Also good luck trying to make any classic Nvidia card not supported by their proprietary driver work on linux.

Fortunately we're reaching the point where they are becoming a non-problem as AMD cards behave better and better every day under Linux, but sure their cards can do 10?-20fps? more on games, and you and anybody else are free to buy an Nvidia card.

Me I'm not supporting them until they produce a proper OSS driver and give Linux users the opportunity to run MESA on their cards.

Note, I do not hate Nvidia, I just want the best experience on Linux and Nvidia is not it.
                      NVIDIA will treat Linux as a first class OS when it becomes one. As for playing shenanigans - almost all commercial companies are not immune to that. I vividly remember how AMD released $1000 AMD64 CPUs when Intel was stuck with their Pentium 4 architecture. AMD fans forget that so easily.
                      Last edited by birdie; 21 January 2020, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X