AMD FreeSync 2 HDR Coming To The Linux Kernel In 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tildearrow

Isn't the pixel color value enough? Why can't we adopt at least 16-bit floating point and save ourselves from this complexity?
    We're talking about 10-bit per channel hardware and above with the DCI-P3 color palette and/or the BT.2020 HDR10 standard minimum.
    • DCI/P3 Color Space
      DCI-P3 is a popular high dynamic range (HDR) RGB color space that was introduced in 2007 by SMPTE and features a color gamut much wider than Rec. 709, covering 45.5% of all colors perceptible to humans as per the CIE 1931 color space. All Digital Cinema Projectors are capable of displaying the entire DCI P3 color space.
      DCI/P3 has assumed importance in recent times since this is the reference color gamut for current ‘Ultra HD Premium TV’s, which are expected to support at least 90% of the DCI/P3 color space with a minimum brightness of 0.05nits and maximum brightness of 1000nits
    • The Rec. 2020 color space
      ITU-R Recommendation BT.2020, more commonly known by the abbreviations Rec. 2020 or BT.2020 is the de facto standard for HDR10 which defines various aspects of UHDTV such as resolution, frame rates, bit depth, chroma subsampling and color space. The associated color space is also commonly referred to as Rec. 2020. It covers 75.8% of all colors perceptible to humans as per the CIE 1931 xy color space.
      In August 2015, the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA) standardized the HDR10 Media Profile format for all HDR compatible display devices. Support for REC.2020 color primaries and ST2084 EOTF transfer characteristics are essential to this format.
    Working in 16 bit floating point on an 8 bit per channel display isn't solving anything regarding actual artists.

Comment

Isn't the pixel color value enough?
      pixel color value is enough for representing values. for displaying them you need monitor support, otherwise your b&w monitor will just display two colors
      Why can't we adopt at least 16-bit floating point and save ourselves from this complexity?
      there are no massmarket montors capable of displaying both smallest and largest 16bit float brightness

Comment

I'm so excited want to try it right now on my Vega 64.

Comment

Good stuff.

There is also a lack of quality Freesync 2 monitors on the market. AMD needs to work with their partners and resolve that too.

Comment

Sadly, there aren't many FreeSync 2 monitors currently available.

Here's one, but the reviews aren't great and I wish it weren't curved.

Buy Samsung CHG70 Series C32HG70 32" (Actual size 31.5") 2560 x 1440 2K Resolution 1ms (GTG) 144Hz DisplayPort, 2x HDMI, USB 3.0 Hub AMD Radeon FreeSync 2 QLED Curved Gaming Monitor with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

The LG 32 inch monitor is not curved: https://www.lg.com/uk/monitors/lg-32GK850F
              And now just need a 4K version of that and they can take my money.

Comment

i have a BenQ EX3203R, 31.5" which is excellent but not cheap

Comment

I was more interested in 4K 144Hz IPS/VA that isn't G-Sync. I would own such a monitor for many years, so FreeSync would be a bonus.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Not mine, here is too much hype around freesync. Only a few games supports that in Linux. However, it would be nice to test my Samsung 24" S24F350H
                    freesync hdmi monitor with the Rocket League game. That is really cheap here now, only 109 euros including 24% vat.
                    https://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-art...-in-linux.aspx
                    • Metro Last Light
                    • Civilization 5
                    • Witcher 2
                    • DOTA2
                    • TF 2
                    • Counter Strike Source
                    • Rocket League
                    • Ark Survival Evolved
                    This is for the proprietary driver and I'm willing to bet this information does not apply to the upcoming FLOSS-implementation. On Windows it doesn't care what game you play, it just works regardless and that's what they should be aiming to achieve in open source as well.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
                      Sadly, there aren't many FreeSync 2 monitors currently available.

Here's one, but the reviews aren't great and I wish it weren't curved.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16824022583
                      Athough not HDR currently the perfect freesync monitor to buy is the Nixeus edg27.
                      30Hz to 144Hz freesync range with LFC
                      27 inch screen with 2560x1440 resolution
                      great colours with it's IPS panel
                      https://www.amazon.com/Nixeus-27-Inc...us+edg27&psc=1

Comment

Working...
                      X