Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD FreeSync 2 HDR Coming To The Linux Kernel In 2019

Phoronix: AMD FreeSync 2 HDR Coming To The Linux Kernel In 2019

Next year is when all of the pieces of the open-source puzzle for fully supporting FreeSync/Adaptive-Sync/VRR displays with AMD graphics cards should be in place for allowing out-of-the-box support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Amazing!

Comment

Typos:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      these FreeSync / variable ratre fresh (?) bits aren't found in the kernel...
      This latest version of FreeSyncsets requirements
      Long stort short,
      What is HDR exactly? When I first saw it I thought it was something like deep color, but after finding out deep color monitors and HDR are different things, I got a little crazy...
      Last edited by tildearrow; 21 October 2018, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
        Typos:

What is HDR exactly? When I first saw it I thought it was something like deep color, but after finding out deep color monitors and HDR are different things, I got a little crazy...
        HDR is about deeper color and higher contrast.

Comment

Now if only Intel could get behind this too...

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
            Typos:

High Dynamic Range is about extending the color space of your monitor. In other terms, it allows it to display more colours. The current standards and monitor don't come close to replicate the reddest reds or greenest greens that we can see (though pretty close for the blue part, IIRC).

I've never owned any HDR monitor myself, and I am not sure I ever saw one, but people say it makes a bigger difference than 1080p ->4K.

No idea what "deep color" is about, must be a proprietary implementation of HDR, or a marketting name of a random brand.

Comment

Most basic definition of HDR output is that individual pixels or areas can be brighter than the color white with the chosen brightness level for an SDR picture. It allows to get closer to real life brightness contrasts and is best achieved with self-luminous display types like OLED to avoid halos etc.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                They are, they just haven't implemented it yet. Perhaps there will be stronger effort once they start pushing out discrete GPU's.

Comment

I hear you want HDR 800 or above, and only select titles work well with it, such as FarCry5 I hear?!

Allot of cheap monitor makers are giving people HDR200/400/600 screens, basically their SDR.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    In 2015 Intel said they planned to support VESA Adaptive Sync (ie FreeSync by another name) though not when. We've not heard anything more about that for a few years so there was a recent argument on another forum with some people claiming there had never been such a plan, so someone got Intel to confirm they still intend to do this with a future hardware generation.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/co...ure_coming_in/

Comment

Working...
                    X