Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Tighter NVIDIA GeForce vs. AMD Radeon Linux Gaming Battle With 396.54 + Mesa 18.3-dev Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    to artificially make nvidia look better
    Or... because it's more of an apples to apples comparison.
    From my recollection, the pro drivers tend to perform better in Vulkan than the open drivers. So your reasoning doesn't really pan out. Sure, the open drivers perform better in OGL, but despite Nvidia's higher frame rates, AMD wasn't that far behind.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
      to artificially make nvidia look better
      The benchmarks will provide the numbers, nothing artificial about that. We can discuss the visual differences between the two and any cheap tactics one may be using over the other.

Also, the average gamer who goes to the store and picks up their brand spankin new Vega or RX 580 AMD graphics card will think they're going to want the AMDGPU-PRO driver package (because they're accustomed to the idea of installing proprietary drivers) OR probably more realistically if we're talking gamers on linux, the long-time Windows user who finally says screw it and runs Linux. They have no freaking clue whether they want Mesa, open-source, AMDGPU-PRO, etc. They're confused by all of it. I frequent this site very often and I still need explanations from bridgman. It is what it is.

Comment

Amazons' sellers can be dicy. Most of the time they are spot on, but when crap does happen man will I get mad.

Comment

Originally posted by creative View Post

Did they send you a GTX 1060? There has been a few times they sent me the wrong item through amazon.
          No I didn't even get anything, the package (whatever was in there) was shipped to a different address in Northern California (I'm in Los Angeles). When I checked tracking and it said delivered, I was stumped so double checked Amazon and it became pretty clear. I'll tell ya man, I'll get the money back, but getting scammed makes you feel totally violated for sure.

Originally posted by creative View Post
          Amazons' sellers can be dicy. Most of the time they are spot on, but when crap does happen man will I get mad.
          I think I'm going to go exclusively Fulfilled and sold by Amazon from now on. If anything, I need to let some time pass to get over it lol. But peace of mind and Prime shipping is great.

Comment

Thats how I think I got my 1070 was straight through them, but I still did not like the way they shipped the card. They just sent it in its original box, other people commented about them not boxing it properly. When it arrived at least they required a signature but I was like, um this package says Zotac and all the details on the outside. To be honest Newegg has pulled stuff on me too.

This stuff cost tons of money. Why don't they take greater care?

Comment

I'm really surprised yours was just with the original ZOTAC box and nothing else. Double check that order it might not have been fulfilled by Amazon, that's pretty amateur.

That didn't happen with me but I found the package inside of my front gate and there was a good amount of distance from the edge. I think the guy just chucked it over honestly. GPU appears to be fine, however.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
                They're confused by all of it. I frequent this site very often and I still need explanations from bridgman. It is what it is.
                I have had similar thoughts.

When you see minimum system requirements for the GNU/Linux version of a popular game they will often list minimum processor, RAM, GPU and network speed. These will all be pretty similar to the values given for Windows. What they don't list, but we all know factors in, is the minimum IQ requirement. To run any given game on GNU/Linux, the minimum IQ requirements is considerably higher than that of Windows. I'm not saying this to be elitist and it certainly isn't a selling point of the GNU/Linux platform. It's just a reality brought about by some of the inherent complexity of our beloved platform.

This minimum IQ requirement will continue to make GNU/Linux inaccessible to a large subset of Windows gamers until something like the Steam Box becomes successful.

If Valve or some other company can produce a games console based on GNU/Linux which has some of the benefits of PCs but has the ease of use and compatibility assurances of a console, then that could lower the minimum IQ requirement of "gaming on Linux" quite considerably and open up our platform to a larger user-base. This would be beneficial to normal GNU/Linux distribution users even if they didn't buy one of these GNU/Linux-console-things, because it would bring more users and more customers to our platform and thus we would receive more investment in driver and general platform development.

Comment

People, things are simple: OpenGL and Vulkan have less than 1% of the content out there and even this small portion is ported, meaning that it's not general implementation of an entire API but something smaller that favours one or the other implementation and i doesn't give general performance numbers. In the other hand there is DXVK, the standard that we all want to get numbers from, before we buy GPUs as we will all use this standard for our main content. It will be appreciated if the next benchmarks where about some AAA DXVK titles and just the latest ported Vulkan title. Benchmark automation cannot always be the excuse, it isn't hard to write some scripts. I think Phoronix have lost time, sorry but i cannot buy a new GPU based on this Benchmark.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
                    The benchmarks will provide the numbers, nothing artificial about that. We can discuss the visual differences between the two and any cheap tactics one may be using over the other.

Also, the average gamer who goes to the store and picks up their brand spankin new Vega or RX 580 AMD graphics card will think they're going to want the AMDGPU-PRO driver package (because they're accustomed to the idea of installing proprietary drivers) OR probably more realistically if we're talking gamers on linux, the long-time Windows user who finally says screw it and runs Linux. They have no freaking clue whether they want Mesa, open-source, AMDGPU-PRO, etc. They're confused by all of it. I frequent this site very often and I still need explanations from bridgman. It is what it is.
                    Agree that someone who has just moved from Windows to Linux is likely to think about downloading packaged drivers, but even there my impression is that between Windows Update and auto-updaters in the vendor-specific control panels most of that is automatic these days as well.

The big problem AFAICS is that the internet does not clean up after itself, so after a decade most of the information that comes up in response to a search is obsolete.
                    Test signature

Comment

So AMD/Vega is a good choice for Deus Ex, surprising. LOL

I do wonder how well the windows version of Deus Ex would run via Proton or DXVK in comparison...

In all honesty Vega should be doing a HELL of alot better than this, shame.

Comment

Working...
                      X