No announcement yet.

Asus ROG Strix GL702ZC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see. Well, an Intel 8265 AC is on it's way to solve this (I decided not to be a beta tester for a wifi card this time, the Linux killer wireless was enough). How about the keyboard backlight? I'm sure there's something better than this: https://askubuntu.com/questions/9166...oard-backlight

Comment

Hmm newly included staging drivers can be hit or miss, but this one is fine. It's your shot but it doesn't make much sense to not even give a chance to what you already have at hand and assume that it won't work properly. It has been working very well for me, adequate speed and perfectly stable.

Originally posted by tocsa View Post
      How about the keyboard backlight? I'm sure there's something better than this: https://askubuntu.com/questions/9166...oard-backlight
      Keyboard backlight works out-of-the-box (well, at least since kernel 4.14 since I didn't try anything older).

Comment

Actually the keyboard backlight seems to work now with 4.13 kernel. With the wifi I have a little chicken and an egg problem: to fix the wifi I need to download stuff which would require wifi. Back ~2 years ago when I shoveled the linux_firmware.deb to fix the Linux Killer Wireless (https://askubuntu.com/questions/7942...g-ubuntu-16-04). Probably it'll depend on if the Intel card arrives sooner or I take time to shovel the kernel(s) and the deb files. At least both Realtek and the Intel are more open source than the Killer one. Although I like the Atheros as a platform, which in itself would be open source as well. Back in the days (15+ years ago) Intel and Tulip were some of the few NICs which were DMA transfer capable, and Realtek and other cheap alternatives weren't. I don't have any illusions that it's changed, but who knows)

Comment

A few questions about the GL702ZC:

1) Can the fans be made silent at idle? Maybe with a fan profile, or by undervolting the GPU?
          2) Does it work with 64GB of RAM? I know the official specs say max 32GB but often this is not the true limit.
          3) What is the max battery life that can be achieved at idle, say with the monitor off? Can it reach 2-3 hours?
          4) Any custom BIOS available now or likely in the future? Specifically, more RAM support (if not present already), options to undervolt/clock the GPU, and possibly overclock the CPU might be of interest in different combinations for users of this machine.

Comment

1) no, at normal room temperature the fans always need to spin a little to move heat off of the CPU. Maybe better cooling paste could solve this. I haven't tried.
            2) I don't know. 32gb RAM sticks are a bit too expensive for my taste.
            3) haven't tried with the screen off. With the screen on it's no more than 1:20 for me no matter how little I do.
            4) sometime hacked a BIOS to add SVM support before 303 but it needs an external flasher. No idea of there are others.

Comment

Originally posted by blueweb View Post
              A few questions about the GL702ZC:

1) Can the fans be made silent at idle? Maybe with a fan profile, or by undervolting the GPU?
              2) Does it work with 64GB of RAM? I know the official specs say max 32GB but often this is not the true limit.
              3) What is the max battery life that can be achieved at idle, say with the monitor off? Can it reach 2-3 hours?
              4) Any custom BIOS available now or likely in the future? Specifically, more RAM support (if not present already), options to undervolt/clock the GPU, and possibly overclock the CPU might be of interest in different combinations for users of this machine.
              4) I guess this "Ryzen Master utility for Threadripper" mentioned in https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...hlight=GL702ZC is Windows. Not sure how to do that on Linux. But sounds like there's even some overclocking possible even if the CPU is undervolted. But if you worry about the battery, then you should stick to undervolting and no overclock IMHO.

I'm interested in udnervolting under Linux as well.

Comment

Originally posted by tocsa View Post

4) I guess this "Ryzen Master utility for Threadripper" mentioned in https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...hlight=GL702ZC is Windows. Not sure how to do that on Linux. But sounds like there's even some overclocking possible even if the CPU is undervolted. But if you worry about the battery, then you should stick to undervolting and no overclock IMHO.

I'm interested in udnervolting under Linux as well.
                I'm not familiar with those tools. Does Ryzen Master make changes that are local (to the Windows session), or global in the BIOS (which should apply to linux too)?

I'm just interested in the possibility of reducing heat and thus noise, ultimately.

Comment

Originally posted by blueweb View Post

I'm not familiar with those tools. Does Ryzen Master make changes that are local (to the Windows session), or global in the BIOS (which should apply to linux too)?

I'm just interested in the possibility of reducing heat and thus noise, ultimately.
                  Let's ask the dude on the ASUS ROG forums.

Comment

So it seems the software tools must be running for the changes to remain.

I'm not aware of linux options for CPU undervolting. For the GPU, there are some posts online about modding the vBIOS... and even then my impression is it could cause problems if dual booting with Windows. Not for the faint-of-heart who just want something that works.

Comment

Has the GPU on the GL702ZC been used for any interesting computational purposes? The Ryzen 7 CPU on this is great, but for GPGPU such as machine learning, it seems nvidia/cuda is the way to go for now.

Comment

Working...
                      X