Asus ROG Strix GL702ZC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by amdz3n View Post
    Recently, I got the idle state freezes (or reboots) like twice a day. It is so frustrating. I will be grateful if someone point me what kernel options to try exactly in order to end this?
    Debian 4.19.13-1~mx17+1
    I don't know actual reason of your laptop freezes, but when i switched to Linux i have found out that my cpu has hw bug. Laptop started to randomly reboot and in log i found error
    Code:
    journalctl --dmesg -b -1 -p err
    -- Logs begin at Sun 2019-01-27 23:39:36 EET, end at Fri 2019-02-08 11:06:53 EET. --
    Feb 08 00:06:58 hyper kernel: mce: [Hardware Error]: CPU 8: Machine Check: 0 Bank 5: bea0000000000108
    Feb 08 00:06:58 hyper kernel: mce: [Hardware Error]: TSC 0 ADDR 1ffff90400a86 MISC d012000101000000 SYND 4d000000 IPID 500b000000000
    Feb 08 00:06:58 hyper kernel: mce: [Hardware Error]: PROCESSOR 2:800f11 TIME 1549577214 SOCKET 0 APIC 8 microcode 8001137
    You can easily check if your cpu has hardware error by running kill-ryzen.sh script from live usb.
    Grub flag processor.max_cstate=1 helped me, but i plan to RMA my laptop while i have a valid guaranty.
    Hope it will help you.

Comment

• Hello guys!

I am going to buy this laptop in a few months and I want to upgrade it right after purchase, so I have a few questions.
      1. I want to upgrade RAM (1x16 -> 2x16), which RAM can I use for it? I think any DDR4 SO-DDIM 2400 260-Pin will be fine, but what CAS latency do I need? On newegg I see 4 of them (11/14/16/17).
      2. I want to upgrade my network card (realtek -> intel). I want to use Intel Wireless AC 9260 or Intel Wireless AC 9560. 9560 is 5 bucks more expansive than 9260 (on newegg). The only difference between them is Board Form Factor and System Interfact Type:
      https://i.imgur.com/nXMGnOP.png (I included 8265 because I've read that some people here successfully replaced their relatek card with that one).
      So, the question is, which of these cards are compatible with this laptop?
      3. (I am not a hardware person :-( ) Are there any videos with disassembling of this laptop? I couldn't find any on youtube..
      And how hard is it to upgrade RAM and network card on this laptop?

Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by amdz3n View Post
        tocsa, sure keep us informed.
        So, after 2 months the ASUS service center delivered the laptop back to me. I got the alleged "liquid spill" CID (Customer Induced Damage) escalated to further investigation. Besides the 4 images I included earlier I got only one extra, and that also not evidence for me. All you see is some discoloration on some socket, this is common after almost a year of use: look at the USB connector of your mouse, I guarantee it's not shiny any more. So it's kind of an oxidation, but as soon as they realized that the tracker devices' tape residue is not good reason, they tried to find something else.

I was offered a full replacement which would have been over $1K, then after escalation I'd get %30 off, but I still don't want to spend like $750 on this. All I wanted is a CPU replacement to overcome the Ryzen 7 errata (I'd willing to pay for that, I'm not a scammer), but I was not allowed to ask for specific things like that. Just full replacement or nothing.

Well, that's one thing. The problem is that when I sent in the unit it had occasional surprise restarts. I got it back in an inoperable condition. They didn't screw back the wifi card, two screws are missing from the battery. The batter was disconnected and what makes it inoperable is that the keyboard/input cable is disconnected as well, but the retainer is missing from the socket, so I cannot secure it.

Here is the unboxing, feel free to speed it up by 1.5x
        https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...NDXPUvL-Ge9eIf

I videoed the unboxing, because I saw how unprofessional was the boxing (I'm as plain software engineer double boxed it and secured it 10x better than them), plus I could tell right away that the original ROG cardboard briefcase cannot fit into that box I got. I also noticed protrusions on the box. And I also remembered that I didn't specify I had factory upgraded memory to 32 GB by ExcaliberPC where I bought it from new (because I educated myself before buying and knew that memory upgrade would require removal of the whole heat assembly. And although I could do that but I just don't have enough time in my life.). Well, the loss of the original packaging is my bad, because supposedly the instructions tell you to not send in, that's gonna be lost. The memories are still there fortunately. What I didn't expect is missing screws, disconnected cables, rattling parts and unsecurable input cable.

I called ASUS the next day and they informed me that I'm welcome to send it back with another RMA, in which case I will get an estimate for the repair... hold on for a second... so for example if the keyboard cable is not fixable, and it needs a mobo replacement, then I'd need to pay maybe for another whole unit for something I didn't even cause??? Seriously? They can claim CID and not fix it, but I need it back in exactly the same shape as it was before...

This was last Thursday, supposedly they should have gotten back in 2 business days, which was yesterday. Unbelievable. It's hard to find words, I'm fortunately a very patient person, probably that's what is saving me.

amdz3n, thanks for the tip: not so long after you mentioning Acer Helios Predator 500 AMD version 1+ month ago, I ended up buying one. I kinda saw this ASUS &*$% unraveling, and my 2nd gen old backup laptop was not satisfying me as much (doesn't accept NVMe, just SATA III, etc). I can so far recommend the Predator 500 Ryzen laptop to anyone: it's heating is solid, 30C cooler (42C right now instead of 72C the GL702ZC was in similar situation as I'm writing now). It sports a Ryzen 7 2700 (vs 1700 in the ASUS). It's bigger and heavier somewhat, but that 2nd gen old backup machine I mention is a Clevo P570WM - everything is feather weight compared to that, so I'm OK.

I keep adding further updates if asked for.
        Last edited by tocsa; 26 March 2019, 06:26 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by diabolusss View Post
          I don't know actual reason of your laptop freezes, but when i switched to Linux i have found out that my cpu has hw bug. Laptop started to randomly reboot and in log i found error
          Code:
          journalctl --dmesg -b -1 -p err
          -- Logs begin at Sun 2019-01-27 23:39:36 EET, end at Fri 2019-02-08 11:06:53 EET. --
          Feb 08 00:06:58 hyper kernel: mce: [Hardware Error]: CPU 8: Machine Check: 0 Bank 5: bea0000000000108
          Feb 08 00:06:58 hyper kernel: mce: [Hardware Error]: TSC 0 ADDR 1ffff90400a86 MISC d012000101000000 SYND 4d000000 IPID 500b000000000
          Feb 08 00:06:58 hyper kernel: mce: [Hardware Error]: PROCESSOR 2:800f11 TIME 1549577214 SOCKET 0 APIC 8 microcode 8001137
          You can easily check if your cpu has hardware error by running kill-ryzen.sh script from live usb.
          Grub flag processor.max_cstate=1 helped me, but i plan to RMA my laptop while i have a valid guaranty.
          Hope it will help you.
          Exactly the same thing I had my friend. I just updated my RMA case. Well, good luck, I'm curious how it goes for you.
          The whole thing is still going on, I somehow need to have them accept it back and deliver it in an exact shape I mailed it in.
          I won't use any words for the service I got so far, because I'd get banned. You can judge it by yourself, from my long sighs during my unboxing video. For each long sigh, substitute some cursing.

Comment

• Three more additions to my case:
            1. The service center was willing to escalate my case, although things go very slow, and I kinda knew they'll try to find some other "evidence" (quotation is intentional) for a CID.
            2. The repair center never played the Linux card! That's a big plus, and before jumping into the RMA that's what I feared the most, never though about a CID.
            3. It can happen that the cables got disconnected during a ground transportation's long hours of shaking and vibrations as the trucks haul the box. The laptop didn't have physical damage like cracks or smashes. That doesn't change the fact that it does not work now though and it's not my fault.

Comment

• Originally posted by tocsa View Post
              Exactly the same thing I had my friend. I just updated my RMA case. Well, good luck, I'm curious how it goes for you.
              The whole thing is still going on, I somehow need to have them accept it back and deliver it in an exact shape I mailed it in.
              I won't use any words for the service I got so far, because I'd get banned. You can judge it by yourself, from my long sighs during my unboxing video. For each long sigh, substitute some cursing.
              I'm really sorry to hear that and i hope that they will fix their mistake. AsusTek quality control service seems to be more reasonable than their service guys, so if you haven't contacted them you could give a try.

My rma story is a bit positive, but still with some drawbacks.
              The reasons i had RMA'd my notebook were: strange fan noise, cpu marginality problem and a hidden one: a odd looking component near battery connector - it has changed coloring and i thought that it's going to brake at some point. It's 2R2 733 VBF, i don't know what it is.
              Thank you for visiting the TechnologyGuide network. Unfortunately, these forums are no longer active. We extend a heartfelt thank you to the entire community for their steadfast support—it is really you, our readers, that drove

A strange thing was that i received the same looking MB (same strange coloring of component i've mentioned above) and cpu with the similar marginality problem. Luckily for all of us service and AsusTek quality control service provided me serial numbers of new parts and they matched. And laptop seems to be working quite well.
              I quote what they have said about serial numbers:
              We do keep track of them for security purposes, for example in case someone will swap laptop components without noticing us. But this information is not freely available for laptop owners.
              It's not clear to me why. Actually, every S/N except CPU can be dmidecode'd. And should be noted in service invoice before and after RMA.

New CPU seems to be more stable than previous one, but still it throws segfaults in kill-ryzen check, so i need to give it back again... This time i'll ask them to check it twice before finishing RMA to avoid wasting of our precious time.

Comment

• My laptop also came back in a broken state after the 3rd RMA. The GPU fan was disconnected and the GPU would crash about 30seconds into the windows first boot thing.

I got my money back from the shop after 3 months of this. I used it to buy a ryzen based desktop with an rx580 instead.

I wouldn't recommend anyone buy Asus laptops I realize it's possible to just get unlucky but judging by this forum and the Asus forums this level of aftercare is apparently pretty normal.

I've had good experiences with Asus after care for motherboards though so maybe it's just their laptop division that's messed up.

Comment

• Originally posted by TMM_ View Post
                  My laptop also came back in a broken state after the 3rd RMA. The GPU fan was disconnected and the GPU would crash about 30seconds into the windows first boot thing.
                  Wow, that's really promising regarding my case.

Comment

• Originally posted by tocsa View Post

Wow, that's really promising regarding my case.
                    Yeah, but maybe it's better in your region? It seems that Asus contracts support out so I guess just as we got really unlucky maybe you will get lucky?

Comment

• thanks and nice to see the updates here

regards
                      site

Comment

Working...
                      X