No announcement yet.

Netplan 1.0 Is Ready To Go For Ubuntu 24.04 LTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

/me waiting for rene's obligatory announcement that this is shipping in TSDE.

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
      Yaaay, another bugged tool that was totally uncalled for, spurring completely out of "not invented here" syndrome, replacing network-manager just for the sake of replacing it.

Upstart (OpenRC, systemd?), Mir (Xorg, Wayland?), Bazaar (Mercury, Git?), Ubuntu Touch (don't even go there), Unity (insert the other 9 million DEs here), LightDM (GDM, whatever, pick any), Snap (Flatpak, AppImage), UFW (firewalld), autoinstall (cloud-init), AppArmor (SELinux), so many success stories of Canonical trying to reinvent the wheel... and failing miserably.
      Yup. It's like they keep trying to lock users in their ecosystem, but at the same time have no possibility to keep users from using portable tools. Trying to lock a door without walls is just wasting a good door

Ubuntu Touch was the only thing that separated them from everyone else - I really wish they got it working

Comment

Originally posted by Ananace View Post

Yep, we were doing pure netplan on Ubuntu for a year or two, but it ended up costing us way too much in technician time, having to run techs over to restart peoples workstations because netplan had broken their network connection got old really quickly.
        And the fact that the same base template could result in wildly different results for the resulting config on some machines wasn't helpful either, made debugging broken networking a royal pain, so we would just reinstall those machines a few times until netplan finally decided to generate valid configuration instead.
        That sounds completely the opposite to most people's experience with netplan. I wonder if the issue was never with netplan, but instead with your DHCP server and routing?

Comment

Originally posted by and.elf View Post

Yup. It's like they keep trying to lock users in their ecosystem, but at the same time have no possibility to keep users from using portable tools. Trying to lock a door without walls is just wasting a good door

Ubuntu Touch was the only thing that separated them from everyone else - I really wish they got it working
          Ubuntu Touch does work, but it's not maintained by Canonical anymore afaik. But pretty much all of standard phone features work on it. Only certain phone models work, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by and.elf View Post

Yup. Apple they are not, someone should really tell management.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
              That sounds completely the opposite to most people's experience with netplan. I wonder if the issue was never with netplan, but instead with your DHCP server and routing?
              Oh, Ubuntu has always been an issue, we have had certain networks where the DHCP lease time has had to be extended to 4 weeks due to bugs with Ubuntu 18 and their DHCP client config - where it would actively ignore NAKs and lock itself to an invalid lease even across reboots.
              In this case though these were networks with no special configuration, where only machines with netplan showed any issue, where killing netplan on affected machines stopped the issues returning, with other machines next to them running just fine, network taps showing valid DHCP responses across the lines, and where even machines that had fully static routing deployed through netplan - with no DHCP client running - would still randomly decide to break the resolv conf or insert broken default routes.

In either case, since we've started nuking netplan and just running plain networkmanager - on some machines still using the netplan-generated config - we've not had a single such issue on any of the machines.

Comment

I suppose the idea to have Netplan common config no matter of network manager backend isn't all that bad. However, YAML must be the worst choice for a config file. Having invisible characters (single spaces) as determination of section is simply not user friendly.. Having an accidental tab instead of spaces somewhere will break your config in weird ways, and as a user it is very difficult to understand why...

Comment

Originally posted by Malsabku View Post
                  Which bug did you experienced exactly with netplan? I didn't experienced any bug. Also it does not replace network-manager.

Mir, Unity and Ubuntu Touch are still alive, they just have different purpose nowadays.

Snap is older than flatpak and is also still alive. Snap's development is significantly more active than Flatpak's when comparing commits on Github.

LightDM is also still very alive and is nowadays the standard DM for most Linux Desktop environments: Xfce, Mate, Cinnamon, Unity, Budgie Desktop, LXDE. Only Gnome and KDE have different standard DMs.

Neither AppArmor nor SELinux was initially developed by Canonical.

Please stick to the facts and not just chatter.
                  Also, Upstart was developed *before* systemD. Even Red Hat included Upstart in RHEL.

Comment

"Touch" is really a pain on most DE, especially on wayland..

There are > 9000 protocols on how to handle "touch" especially the gestures and so on.. Your Window Manager as well as your application both need to support the protocols in order for them to work.

Another thing: On Screen Keyboard input! You want a protocol which tells the application where the On Screen Keyboard is placed as well as the On Screen Keyboard to know which type of input is requested and maybe auto complete options.

Currently there is no real working solution here.. There are propriatary extensions for Chrome OS which work pretty good, the Steamdeck has a propriatary solution, but there is no real "standard" which is supported in Chromium for example.

Comment

Working...
                    X