Netplan 1.0 Is Ready To Go For Ubuntu 24.04 LTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by onlyLinuxLuvUBack View Post

dont worry you can DLC download a fix during os install to patch any problems.
    Yeah, right. We've been waiting on that with all their other Ubuntu-specific issues. It's not gonna happen. They'll give up eventually, that's what's gonna happen.

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
      Yaaay, another bugged tool that was totally uncalled for, spurring completely out of "not invented here" syndrome, replacing network-manager just for the sake of replacing it.

Upstart (OpenRC, systemd?), Mir (Xorg, Wayland?), Bazaar (Mercury, Git?), Ubuntu Touch (don't even go there), Unity (insert the other 9 million DEs here), LightDM (GDM, whatever, pick any), Snap (Flatpak, AppImage), UFW (firewalld), autoinstall (cloud-init), AppArmor (SELinux), so many success stories of Canonical trying to reinvent the wheel... and failing miserably.
      In this case it isn't replacing anything. It sits above the existing tools. I've never looked into the driving force behind creating it. The last time I had to mess with it was when I debootstrapped a minimal Mantic install when playing with ZFSBootMenu. Had to start dhcpcd manually to get an IP address initially. Then installed network-manager and created a Netplan config like this to let NetworkManager manage all the network devices automatically.

Code:
      # Let NetworkManager manage all devices on this system
      network:
        version: 2
        renderer: NetworkManager​

Comment

Originally posted by juarezr View Post
        How does it compare with NetworkManager and systemd-networkd?
        They are compatible with each other? Is it possible to use them concurrently?
        All Netplan does is generate the config files that are then used by systemd-networkd and/or NetworkManager. You specify a backend ("renderer") in Netplan's config, and then it generates the config files in the format that the chosen backend uses. You could make additional changes to SDND or NM in the same way you always have, but those changes would be lost the next time NP generates the config files.

Comment

I find using netplan significantly nicer than doing the same manually with NetworkManager and others, the ability to test a new configuration and not lock yourself out is really nice. Bridging multiple interfaces, dual-stack addressing and VLANs is a breeze. In comparison manual ifupdown and NM configuration is barbaric.
          Last edited by Avamander; 04 April 2024, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Yaaay, another bugged tool that was totally uncalled for, spurring completely out of "not invented here" syndrome, replacing network-manager just for the sake of replacing it.

Upstart (OpenRC, systemd?), Mir (Xorg, Wayland?), Bazaar (Mercury, Git?), Ubuntu Touch (don't even go there), Unity (insert the other 9 million DEs here), LightDM (GDM, whatever, pick any), Snap (Flatpak, AppImage), UFW (firewalld), autoinstall (cloud-init), AppArmor (SELinux), so many success stories of Canonical trying to reinvent the wheel... and failing miserably.
            it doesn't replace anything, why do you keep writing that when we have corrected you on this before, so you know damn well that netplan is just a unified config tool ontop of either systemd-networkd or network-manager.

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post

In this case it isn't replacing anything. It sits above the existing tools. I've never looked into the driving force behind creating it. The last time I had to mess with it was when I debootstrapped a minimal Mantic install when playing with ZFSBootMenu. Had to start dhcpcd manually to get an IP address initially. Then installed network-manager and created a Netplan config like this to let NetworkManager manage all the network devices automatically.

Code:
            # Let NetworkManager manage all devices on this system
            network:
            version: 2
            renderer: NetworkManager​

The main driving force behind it is to have a single config file regardless of what you use to actually handle the network, thanks to netplan we had to do zero changes on any servers when Ubuntu switched from network-manager to systemd-networkd, should something in the future replace systemd-networkd then they can simply make a new renderer and you can keep your config untouched.

Also it helps tremendously when copy network configs across thousands of machines, and it allows you to error check the config before applying it (really helpful when changing stuff remotely and not having to just hope that you didn't spell something wrong and loose all network).
            Last edited by F.Ultra; 04 April 2024, 05:50 PM.

Comment

I'm not really a fan of Netplan. I'd rather just use the systemd-networkd config files. Sure the ability to test a configuration is nice, but last I checked I don't think that works on the more advanced configurations involving multiple VLANs with bridges (for KVM) on top of multiple NICs running in a team.

Comment

UBTouch is kinda neat for older phones still - and certain models - even though it still runs on Halium. So yeah, I guess I went there.

Netplan on UBTouch would actually be nice for enterprise-configured repurposed Android devices that now are UBTouchified and given to medical staff for messaging each other. All the network settings on all devices; all the same. Little things like that make a world of difference when trying to save time.

Mir still has a home for embedded devices and mobile as well, and more like… is Wayland-adjacent / lives happily with Wayland if the last reports are to be believed.

Comment

Originally posted by Ananace View Post

Hopefully that's not their goal for it anymore, since it's been actively hurting our ability to do exactly that at work. Deploying functional network configuration over ~600 workstations has been a royal pain with netplan, to the point where we've started nuking it from the systems during install, so that we can push regular unmolested NetworkManager configuration instead.
                  I guess the main question there would be, have you actually looked into netplan and it's configuration tools, or have you just continued to try and force NetworkManager configurations on machines that utilize NetPlan and are running into the issue where netplan is managing those settings? Ubuntu continues to develop and expand NetPlan because their customers like the tool. If their enterprise customers didn't like it, they wouldn't continue putting developer time and money into it as a project.​

+1 my first thing to do was disabling netplan and reverting to using network-manager, as on all other systems. It solved NONE of our issues and introduced random bugs. As with any other Canonical "development".
                  Why are you using Ubuntu in an enterprise environment if you don't like Canonical and their tools? Why aren't you using RHEL instead?

Comment

Which bug did you experienced exactly with netplan? I didn't experienced any bug. Also it does not replace network-manager.

Mir, Unity and Ubuntu Touch are still alive, they just have different purpose nowadays.

Snap is older than flatpak and is also still alive. Snap's development is significantly more active than Flatpak's when comparing commits on Github.

LightDM is also still very alive and is nowadays the standard DM for most Linux Desktop environments: Xfce, Mate, Cinnamon, Unity, Budgie Desktop, LXDE. Only Gnome and KDE have different standard DMs.

Neither AppArmor nor SELinux was initially developed by Canonical.

Please stick to the facts and not just chatter.

Comment

Originally posted by Avamander View Post
                      I find using netplan significantly nicer than doing the same manually with NetworkManager and others, the ability to test a new configuration and not lock yourself out is really nice. Bridging multiple interfaces, dual-stack addressing and VLANs is a breeze. In comparison manual ifupdown and NM configuration is barbaric.
                      Is netplan able to generate wpa_supplicant conf files, systemd-networkd .network files and systemd-resolved .conf files?

For home use that's really all that's needed.

Comment

Working...
                      X