X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vermilion
    replied
    Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
    Very nice, but if its going to be used on 5.19 it will not affect a lot of mobiles. Most likely they have to backport it down to...3.x? or 4.19? dont know which one is currently used for Android phones. But usually its quite old old long long stable.
    Forget the improvements in 5.19, the exFAT driver itself was introduced in 5.4 so Android requires backporting or out-of-tree drivers anyway.

Leave a comment:

• CochainComplex
    replied
    Originally posted by piorunz View Post
    I never used that filesystem to be honest. What are its advantages? It's open source? It comes from Microsoft, right?
    as very well pointed out by jacob it is the only filesystem able to be used adhoc by mac, win and linux without any size restriction. Perfectly for USB drives or smartcards. The imporatnce of this filesystem is quickly overseen since USB thumbdrives have reached sizes >4GB.

Leave a comment:

• Steffo
    replied
    I'm wondering how this compares to the performance of ext4, ext3, ext2. Maybe even without journaling.

Leave a comment:

• 0xE1
    replied
    Originally posted by jacob View Post

It is open source and has one HUGE advantage: like (V)FAT it offers perfect interoperability by being supported by everything and everyone. But unlike (V)FAT, it's 64 bit so it doesn't suffer from the same volume size limitations. I think (but don't take my word for it) that it also got rid of that horrible hack in VFAT that allowed long file names on top of the old 8+3 format. Instead it supports long file names natively.
    It's also the only Filesystem natively supported by both Wibdo s and MacOS allowing easy transfer or use of files between them

Leave a comment:

• user556
    replied
    That percentage figure is strangely inverted and not intuitive at all. I'd be saying it's four times faster!

Leave a comment:

• jacob
    replied
    I never used that filesystem to be honest. What are its advantages? It's open source? It comes from Microsoft, right?
    It is open source and has one HUGE advantage: like (V)FAT it offers perfect interoperability by being supported by everything and everyone. But unlike (V)FAT, it's 64 bit so it doesn't suffer from the same volume size limitations. I think (but don't take my word for it) that it also got rid of that horrible hack in VFAT that allowed long file names on top of the old 8+3 format. Instead it supports long file names natively.

Leave a comment:

• JustK
    replied
    Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

That's good too, but I have to save it somewhere as I will not remember it.
    Code:
    mkfs.exfat --help
    That's why commands have a --help switch.

Leave a comment:

• qlum
    replied
    It is compatible with windows and that's about it. It may be the least bad option out of fat32 ntfs and exfat.

Leave a comment:

• piorunz
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Danny3
    replied
    Originally posted by George99 View Post
    Danny3: Not GUI but the mkfs.exfat command has a --cluster-size=size option to specify the size.
    That's good too, but I have to save it somewhere as I will not remember it.
    Thank you!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X