Linux Patch Proposed To Double Raspberry Pi 4 Transfer Speed To eMMC/SD Storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post

Huh, that's bad. I don't understand why they'd try to suppress it so much.

What problems did you face? Maybe you can fix them.
    It's very simple. Hibernation causes so many different problems that the average user will never be able to understand, let alone fix. If it was at least recognizable, then maybe it would be different. You could have a warning when entering hibernation, saying "If problem X occurs, then deactivate hibernation in the system settings" or whatever. But with the enormous number of PCs out there and so wildly different symptoms, I think it should remain deactivated by default.

Having lots of people reporting that Linux is completely unstable, isn't good for any of us.

Comment

Except that hibernation isn't something that people normally use or think of using. They usually just suspend their computers, or shut them down.

It's not something that the OS normally does either. It's something explicitly chosen by the user.

Comment

Guest i don't know about any opensource driver for these GPUs. i was just saying that i don't care it is open or not cause some linux fanatics thinks that if its not open is the end of the world.
        and browser seems to be still unable to use pi4 GPU. i guess some things are still missing from driver. thats why i was curios if any other GPU actually works on chromium/firefox on arm SBC

Comment

Except that hibernation isn't something that people normally use or think of using. They usually just suspend their computers, or shut them down.

It's not something that the OS normally does either. It's something explicitly chosen by the user.
          I've had laptops that do a hybid sleep mode. It suspends when you close the lid. If it is in suspend mode for more than 2-3 hours, it automatically writes memory contents to disk and hibernates itself to gain much better battery savings.

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post

I've had laptops that do a hybid sleep mode. It suspends when you close the lid. If it is in suspend mode for more than 2-3 hours, it automatically writes memory contents to disk and hibernates itself to gain much better battery savings.
            Yes, but isn't that behaviour set by the OS? In that case it can be disabled. Therefore it's not a reason to prevent users from hibernating.

Comment

Yes, but isn't that behaviour set by the OS? In that case it can be disabled. Therefore it's not a reason to prevent users from hibernating.
              With SSD, hibernation makes a lot more sense than before on HD. It consumes 0 watts, restores in several seconds and keep all your apps running.

Comment

Originally posted by goTouch View Post

With SSD, hibernation makes a lot more sense than before on HD. It consumes 0 watts, restores in several seconds and keep all your apps running.
                Yeah, but it still takes time for UEFI and the OS to shutdown and start up. Suspend is much faster.

Comment

I got my USB 3 working on my Pi4. So if the SD card destabilizes I don't really care.

Comment

Yeah, but it still takes time for UEFI and the OS to shutdown and start up. Suspend is much faster.
                    Faster yes, but hibernate takes effectively 0 battery. My old laptop lived next to the couch. My wife and I shared a charger. On occasion, it would go several weeks between uses. Because of hybrid sleep and hibernate, I could always come back to the laptop and feel reasonably confident that the battery wouldn't be dead the moment I opened the lid.

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post

Faster yes, but hibernate takes effectively 0 battery. My old laptop lived next to the couch. My wife and I shared a charger. On occasion, it would go several weeks between uses. Because of hybrid sleep and hibernate, I could always come back to the laptop and feel reasonably confident that the battery wouldn't be dead the moment I opened the lid.
                      Doesn't hybrid sleep consume more battery than S3 suspend?

Comment

Working...
                      X