No announcement yet.

Linux Patch Proposed To Double Raspberry Pi 4 Transfer Speed To eMMC/SD Storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Patch Proposed To Double Raspberry Pi 4 Transfer Speed To eMMC/SD Storage

Phoronix: Linux Patch Proposed To Double Raspberry Pi 4 Transfer Speed To eMMC/SD Storage

Manjaro Linux developer Tobias Schramm brought to light that only single data rate mode is currently being used for micro SD cards and eMMC storage with Raspberry Pi 4 Model B SBCs. But with a two line kernel patch, the double data rate mode can be enabled...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...SD-Linux-Patch

Wow, this is great news.
    Until this I guess buying a very fast SD card like the ones from SanDisk would not be very helpful if the device cannot use it in a more optimized way.
    Good job and congrats to the person who found this!
    I find it kinda weird that Raspberry Pi Foundation staff have not commented, but hopefully is just because they are not yet aware.
    This is a huge improvement and it would be great to get into the kernel and Raspbian as soon as possible!

Comment

I love this once in a while out of a sudden twoliner Kernel Patches making things exeptionally fast considering the LOC effort or patching 20year old issues.
      Last edited by CochainComplex; 08-31-2020, 12:25 PM.

Comment

wonder this obviously long overdue was not plumbed long time ago, ..! :-/

Comment

I have a vague recollection that this was intentional, because some SDCards didn't behave well. I guess we'll find out. Probably better too replace bad SDCards than slow everyone down.

Comment

Shouldn't RPi 5 ship with at least PCIe 3.0 4x M.2 storage? SD cards seem pretty outdated.

Comment

Originally posted by macemoneta View Post
              I have a vague recollection that this was intentional, because some SDCards didn't behave well. I guess we'll find out. Probably better too replace bad SDCards than slow everyone down.
              a better solution would be to dynamically fall back to slower speeds, or simply allow and/or denylist misbehaving cards, ...

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
                Shouldn't RPi 5 ship with at least PCIe 3.0 4x M.2 storage? SD cards seem pretty outdated.
                I wish Raspi would come with some PCIe Slot anyways. I know there is some RP4 mod but it would be great to have this as an official option.

Comment

Originally posted by macemoneta View Post
                  Complete agree with replacing bad SD card than slowing everyone down!
                  I think we have the same situation with Linux distros not coming with Hibernate option because a few laptops have problems with it.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
                    If they can sell the feature and maintain $35-$45 board cost.

Comment

Working...
                    X