Linux Patch Proposed To Double Raspberry Pi 4 Transfer Speed To eMMC/SD Storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by caligula View Post
    Shouldn't RPi 5 ship with at least PCIe 3.0 4x M.2 storage? SD cards seem pretty outdated.
    Would make a lot of sense for the upcoming RPi 4 compute module: They just need to expose the pins. Let's hope they don't have backward compatibility to care about!

Comment

M.2 could be an interesting connector to use to get to the PCI lanes, but you have to take off the USB controller for that. I think I would rather have a mouse and keyboard on a mini PC than a PCI connector.

Besides, the cheapest M.2 connector is $0.44258 with a minimum of 14,000 order. That's a 1% increase in BOM cost, which is a huge amount when you are looking at something that has an end user price of $45.

Edit: Actually $0.44 is probably a lot more than 1% increase in BOM if they are selling for $45.
      Last edited by Guest; 31 August 2020, 04:14 PM. Reason: BOM vs Price clarification

Comment

maintain a "quirks" list of bad SD cards in the driver
        I live in a country where if a product is found to be bad within 5 years of purchase, the customer can demand money back or a replacement. This is by law, regardless of guarrantees. That is the better solution, IMO.

Comment

I can get an SD card for $5. I can't get an m.2 SSD of any sort for that price.

Comment

Originally posted by DihydrogenOxide View Post

M.2 could be an interesting connector to use to get to the PCI lanes, but you have to take off the USB controller for that. I think I would rather have a mouse and keyboard on a mini PC than a PCI connector.

Besides, the cheapest M.2 connector is $0.44258 with a minimum of 14,000 order. That's a 1% increase in BOM cost, which is a huge amount when you are looking at something that has an end user price of $45.

Edit: Actually $0.44 is probably a lot more than 1% increase in BOM if they are selling for $45.
            There is no way m.2 could be added without creating a new form factor. While it's not impossible, it's definitely improbable. I could see them doing something like they did with the Pi Zero and make it a separate product altogether. Maybe a 'Pi Plus' or 'Pi Pro'.

EDIT: For reference, the Raspberry Pi is 85.6mm × 56.5mm while the RockPro64 is 133mm x 80mm.

It's also not just parts, but rather, machine time for the new, more complex layout.
            Last edited by betam4x; 31 August 2020, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by macemoneta View Post
              I have a vague recollection that this was intentional, because some SDCards didn't behave well. I guess we'll find out. Probably better too replace bad SDCards than slow everyone down.
              Many cards use non-standard compliant controller designs to achieve "Super Speed" performance. These often involve electrical behavior that is not in line with the SD Card standard, so devices can't use them reliably without host controller software hacks. These cards include the SanDisk Extreme/Extreme Pro cards and some others.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

Complete agree with replacing bad SD card than slowing everyone down!
                I think we have the same situation with Linux distros not coming with Hibernate option because a few laptops have problems with it.
                Distros have supported hibernate for a long time, and KDE definitely has the menu option. GNOME 3 doesn't have the menu option, but you can still hibernate via command line.

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
                  which GPU for these arm SBC has better support on linux (i don't care is its opensource or not)? from what i've seen over the internet RPi 4 is not that capable to play 1080p youtube videos. i don't even want to think about uhd.
                  Well you should obviously use the hardware accelerated video decode. Is there an open source driver?

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post

Distros have supported hibernate for a long time, and KDE definitely has the menu option. GNOME 3 doesn't have the menu option, but you can still hibernate via command line.
                    Not the Ubuntu based ones.
                    I spent a couple of hours to make it work in Kubuntu 20.04 and while the menu item for it finally appeared, it still didn't work.
                    It's clear that the Ubuntu devs don't care about it to enable it by default and test it and leave us with do it yourself if you want it.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

Not the Ubuntu based ones.
                      I spent a couple of hours to make it work in Kubuntu 20.04 and while the menu item for it finally appeared, it still didn't work.
                      It's clear that the Ubuntu devs don't care about it to enable it by default and test it and leave us with do it yourself if you want it.
                      Huh, that's bad. I don't understand why they'd try to suppress it so much.

What problems did you face? Maybe you can fix them.

Comment

Working...
                      X