BioShock Infinite Now Available For Linux, Demands Binary Graphics Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eydee View Post
    Hey, Michael, if you're reading this, I have a suggestion. Would you consider dedicating an article for this eON wrapper? It is an achievement after all, a DX10 wrapper for linux, now ahead of wine in both performance and feature set. Making an interview with some VP representative about some technical aspects, about future plans etc. and putting it on the front page would probably be interesting for a lot of people. Maybe it could even grab the attention of more publishers, so we'd have a better chance of seeing oldies on linux.
    +1 for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
      I just want an option that can send a message to these companies saying "I will buy your stuff if you actually invest what is necessary in making freedom respecting drivers I can use" but there is literally no option since the slow progress in Mesa just indicates a lack of shits given by the higher up suits at either Intel or AMD.
      We're already spending roughly twice as much on Linux today (relative to other OSes) as the apparent market share can justify, because we think it has the potential to be more important in the future. Intel is probably doing something similar although given their size the factor might be less than 2x.

How does that translate into a "lack of shits given" ?

By the way where are you getting the idea of "slow progress in Mesa" ?

And where is my flying car ? We were supposed to have those 20 years ago.
      Last edited by bridgman; 18 March 2015, 04:47 AM.
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        We're already spending roughly twice as much on Linux today (relative to other OSes) as the apparent market share can justify, because we think it has the potential to be more important in the future. Intel is probably doing something similar although given their size the factor might be less than 2x.

How does that translate into a "lack of shits given" ?

By the way where are you getting the idea of "slow progress in Mesa" ?

And where is my flying car ? We were supposed to have those 20 years ago.
        I'm personally happy petroleum is expensive enough flying cars won't happen. I mean, imagine the amount of traffic accidents if people navigated in 3D lanes. They can't even cope with roads

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
          I'm personally happy petroleum is expensive enough flying cars won't happen. I mean, imagine the amount of traffic accidents if people navigated in 3D lanes. They can't even cope with roads
          Yeah, I'm not really looking forward to a time when the word "texting" starts to appear in NTSB aviation accident reports.
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Pecisk View Post
            "GL_ARB_tessellation_shader started (Chris, Ilia)"

Wasn't this 'not taken' for very long time? Fingers crossed people don't give up here
            Well, developers have said for a very long time GL4 isn't a priority until there's demand in applications. It's in line with these comments that development gets picked up when applications now start needing GL4

Comment

libgcc seemed to have snuck back in at some point in the last couple weeks, so that was clogging up that libgl error with the runtime.

I also got Dust and RL working outside the runtime by just finding all the lib32 libraries it wanted.

PA starts again, black screen the whole time. I'll look into that later.

And Torchlight 2 just started working with the runtime enabled, so I guess thats a few eggs cooked. Thanks for the responses =P

Feeling a little dumb now not checking to make sure the Steam runtime didn't reinstall some of the broken libs again. I was under the assumption no games worked if they showed back up, but a majority of my games were working, and libstdc++ was still absent, so I figured I had done as much investigating as I needed to on that front, and was wrong.
              Yes, Steam client updates occasionally will re-install those libs. And yes, it's annoying.

Comment

I mean, hell, I was just compiling a list of games today in my Steam library that just outright don't start on radeonsi 10.5.1 - so far its Natural Selection 2, Torchlight 2, Dust, Planetary Annihilation and Rogue Legacy.
                Rogue Legacy works fine on Intel/Mesa. So does Dust AET.

Problem with RadeonSI (as opposed to Mesa generally), or your PC

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post
                  Yes, Steam client updates occasionally will re-install those libs. And yes, it's annoying.
                  Would be solved by them bumping libstdc++.so.6 from .18 to .20. It's just an addition of new symbols.

Comment

@bridgman

AMD just ignores the mobile market, if you look at the Android market share - as it uses OpenGL ES + soon Vulkan - you should better get more devs...

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                      Yeah, I'm not really looking forward to a time when the word "texting" starts to appear in NTSB aviation accident reports.
                      sorry to disappoint you but it's probably gonna all be on autopilots

looking at how some people drive, if their cars could fly i would never ever go out of the house
                      Last edited by gens; 18 March 2015, 09:52 AM. Reason: "their", not "they" you dislexic

Comment

Working...
                      X