BioShock Infinite Now Available For Linux, Demands Binary Graphics Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zanny View Post
    We have been stuck on 3.3 for over almost a year and a half. I might be so old I'll forget why I was waiting in the first place before 4.2 hits Mesa...
    Just because we haven't hit 4.0 doesn't mean development has stopped. Look at these to progress files to see how far things have progressed in that past year and a half. Take extra notice of the progress to 4.3, 4.4 and 4.5 extensions. On top of this there has ben continued optimisations and new hardware enabled. Also there are a couple of extensions on the list right now that will soon be marked off as done.

Mesa 10.0 (first version with 3.3 support): http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mes...GL3.txt?h=10.0

Current git: http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/tree/docs/GL3.txt

After years of lagging behind I think we should be happy that we can start to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Once 4.2 lands won't being long before everything else starts to fall into place and we will finally be on par.
    Last edited by tarceri; 17 March 2015, 08:18 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
      I am afraid that they are not being used in Bioshock. The game probably just peeks the main OGL version number, and doesn't care about the extensions it actually needs, and can perfectly run on current Mesa drivers. Sad.
      Try it: MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=4.2 MESA_GLSL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=420
      But if it's using GL4+ extensions that are not actually supported, it will probably segfault.
      And if they're using GLSL features > 150, the shaders won't work either.

Comment

Originally posted by Nobu View Post
        Don't have Torchlight so I can't test that one, but most of the games I have run fine if I run steam with STEAM_RUNTIME=0. That's with either Radeon HD 7770 or R9-270X, on Arch x64.
        So heres the terminal logging of Steam without the runtime for Dust:

Code:
        Game update: AppID 236090 "Dust: An Elysian Tail", ProcID 3193, IP 0.0.0.0:0
        ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/zanny/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
        ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/zanny/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
        Setting breakpad minidump AppID = 236090
        Steam_SetMinidumpSteamID:  Caching Steam ID:  76561197998735439 [API loaded no]
        SUCCESS: SteamAPI_Init()
        EXT_swap_control_tear unsupported. Fall back to standard VSync.
        crash_20150317202127_5.dmp[2986]: Finished uploading minidump (out-of-process): success = yes
        crash_20150317202127_5.dmp[2986]: response: CrashID=bp-33410dc8-939a-4506-98f9-4809c2150317
        crash_20150317202127_5.dmp[2986]: file ''/tmp/dumps/crash_20150317202127_5.dmp'', upload yes: ''CrashID=bp-33410dc8-939a-4506-98f9-4809c2150317''
        Generating new string page texture 222: 24x256, total string texture memory is 2.26 MB
        Generating new string page texture 223: 128x256, total string texture memory is 2.39 MB
        Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(gameoverlayui)/version(20150218153205)
        Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(gameoverlayui)/version(1.0)
        Starting Theora player... Done!
        Signaled Theora player to stop, waiting... Done!
        AL lib: (WW) FreeContext: (0x1984ee0) Deleting 3 Source(s)
        AL lib: (WW) FreeContext: (0x1984ee0) Deleting 1 AuxiliaryEffectSlot(s)
        AL lib: (WW) FreeDevice: (0x199e340) Deleting 710 Buffer(s)
        AL lib: (WW) FreeDevice: (0x199e340) Deleting 1 Effect(s)
        Game removed: AppID 236090 "Dust: An Elysian Tail", ProcID 3198
        And Torchlight 2 (still no runtime):

Code:
        Game update: AppID 200710 "Torchlight II", ProcID 3234, IP 0.0.0.0:0
        Setting breakpad minidump AppID = 200710
        Assert( Assertion Failed: m_nNumRegisteredWriters == 0 ):/home/buildbot/buildslave/steam_rel_client_linux64/build/src/tier1/../tier1/fileio.cpp:4002

ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/zanny/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_64/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64): ignored.
        crash_20150317202231_2.dmp[3239]: Uploading dump (out-of-process)
        /tmp/dumps/crash_20150317202231_2.dmp
        /home/buildbot/buildslave/steam_rel_client_linux64/build/src/tier1/../tier1/fileio.cpp (4002) : Assertion Failed: m_nNumRegisteredWriters == 0
        Game removed: AppID 200710 "Torchlight II", ProcID 3235 
        Game update: AppID 200710 "", ProcID 3236, IP 0.0.0.0:0
        process 3236: arguments to dbus_connection_open_private() were incorrect, assertion "address != NULL" failed in file dbus-connection.c line 2664.
        This is normally a bug in some application using the D-Bus library.
          D-Bus not built with -rdynamic so unable to print a backtrace
        Game removed: AppID 200710 "", ProcID 3236 
        crash_20150317202231_2.dmp[3239]: Finished uploading minidump (out-of-process): success = no
        crash_20150317202231_2.dmp[3239]: error: Failure when receiving data from the peer
        crash_20150317202231_2.dmp[3239]: file ''/tmp/dumps/crash_20150317202231_2.dmp'', upload no: ''Failure when receiving data from the peer''
        pid 3239 != 3238, skipping destruction (fork without exec?)
        Here is Dust with the runtime:

Code:
        ame update: AppID 236090 "Dust: An Elysian Tail", ProcID 3610, IP 0.0.0.0:0
        Setting breakpad minidump AppID = 236090
        SUCCESS: SteamAPI_Init()
        libGL error: unable to load driver: radeonsi_dri.so
        libGL error: driver pointer missing
        libGL error: failed to load driver: radeonsi
        libGL error: unable to load driver: swrast_dri.so
        libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast
        X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
          Major opcode of failed request:  155 (GLX)
          Minor opcode of failed request:  3 (X_GLXCreateContext)
          Value in failed request:  0x0
          Serial number of failed request:  121
          Current serial number in output stream:  122
        Assert( Assertion Failed: m_nNumRegisteredWriters == 0 ):/home/buildbot/buildslave/steam_rel_client_linux64/build/src/tier1/../tier1/fileio.cpp:4002

ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/zanny/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_64/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64): ignored.
        crash_20150317203619_2.dmp[3626]: Uploading dump (out-of-process)
        /tmp/dumps/crash_20150317203619_2.dmp
        Game removed: AppID 236090 "Dust: An Elysian Tail", ProcID 3615
        So it has libgl errors. I have already removed libstdc++ from my steam runtime, so that might be another broken library. Also that assert error just seems to happen whenever a crash dump happens, rather than causing a game to die.

And finally, TL2 with Steam runtime:

Code:
        Game update: AppID 200710 "Torchlight II", ProcID 3650, IP 0.0.0.0:0
        Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 70: non-double matrix element
        Fontconfig error: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 70: non-double matrix element
        Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/10-scale-bitmap-fonts.conf", line 78: saw unknown, expected number

crash_20150317203823_2.dmp[3656]: Uploading dump (out-of-process)
        /tmp/dumps/crash_20150317203823_2.dmp
        /home/buildbot/buildslave/steam_rel_client_linux64/build/src/tier1/../tier1/fileio.cpp (4002) : Assertion Failed: m_nNumRegisteredWriters == 0
        process 3653: arguments to dbus_connection_open_private() were incorrect, assertion "address != NULL" failed in file ../../dbus/dbus-connection.c line 2636.
        This is normally a bug in some application using the D-Bus library.
        libGL error: unable to load driver: swrast_dri.so
        libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast
        X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
          Major opcode of failed request:  155 (GLX)
          Minor opcode of failed request:  3 (X_GLXCreateContext)
          Value in failed request:  0x0
          Serial number of failed request:  121
          Current serial number in output stream:  122
        Game removed: AppID 200710 "Torchlight II", ProcID 3653
        So its a library problem for Dust (now I'm going to back and check Rogue Legacy and Planetary Annihiliation) but Torchlight 2 is dying due to some dbus bug in the game itself, it seems. Does anyone else have TL2 working on Arch?

Just because we haven't hit 4.0 doesn't mean development has stopped.
        Of course not. I'd never discount the amazing work being done by the dozen or so Intel devs and half a dozen AMD devs, plus all the Red Hat devs who have to pick up the slack for Nvidia being horrible. Or the Vmware devs, or all the devs from a half dozen other companies contributing, or all the independent contributors who pour their heart and soul into free software graphics without a dime in return.

The point is that if games are coming out - and they have been, Metro Redux was maybe the first - requiring OpenGL feature sets the hardware could support, but due to insufficient investment by the backing companies does not support in software, then they have not put sufficient enough developers on the project, plain and simple. I just want an option that can send a message to these companies saying "I will buy your stuff if you actually invest what is necessary in making freedom respecting drivers I can use" but there is literally no option since the slow progress in Mesa just indicates a lack of shits given by the higher up suits at either Intel or AMD, and there is no other option - every other GPU vendor is a backwards proprietary piece of shit holistically. Except the Broadcom driver for the Raspi. Guess I should go play Metro Redux on that? I mean, if I could, and they made a good enough GPU and good enough free driver to enable it, I'd be buying their shit like water.

And the problem then is I just end up buying their stuff anyway. They are not doing a good enough job, but they are the only ones even trying. So I have to recommend them to everyone else even when they don't deliver a working product for the use case in this context. But I'm not sacrificing what freedom I can get for convenience of entertaining video games.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
          There's at least your problem with the runtime.
          On Archlinux this is the current fix:
          Code:
          find ~/.steam/root/ \( -name "libgcc_s.so*" -o -name "libstdc++.so*" -o -name "libxcb.so*" \) -print -delete
          should work for other distributions too.

You can see a better error message, when you set
          Code:
          LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose

Comment

libgcc seemed to have snuck back in at some point in the last couple weeks, so that was clogging up that libgl error with the runtime.

I also got Dust and RL working outside the runtime by just finding all the lib32 libraries it wanted.

PA starts again, black screen the whole time. I'll look into that later.

And Torchlight 2 just started working with the runtime enabled, so I guess thats a few eggs cooked. Thanks for the responses =P

Feeling a little dumb now not checking to make sure the Steam runtime didn't reinstall some of the broken libs again. I was under the assumption no games worked if they showed back up, but a majority of my games were working, and libstdc++ was still absent, so I figured I had done as much investigating as I needed to on that front, and was wrong.
            Last edited by zanny; 17 March 2015, 09:21 PM.

Comment

Hey, Michael, if you're reading this, I have a suggestion. Would you consider dedicating an article for this eON wrapper? It is an achievement after all, a DX10 wrapper for linux, now ahead of wine in both performance and feature set. Making an interview with some VP representative about some technical aspects, about future plans etc. and putting it on the front page would probably be interesting for a lot of people. Maybe it could even grab the attention of more publishers, so we'd have a better chance of seeing oldies on linux.

Comment

Benchmark mode

Someone at gamingonlinux posted how to run the game in benchmark mode.

I don't have the game to confirm if it's working, so if anyone wants to give it a try...

Comment

eON is actually ok now

Yes, it took 4 months for wrapper to fix it's glaring performance issue, but it works now, and that's what really matters for me really (and it's really nice gateway for older games to be ported over SteamOS/Linux). I will try to pick up BI later this year - a bit short of money at this point - but what I have seen it's game worth picking.

Comment

"GL_ARB_tessellation_shader started (Chris, Ilia)"

Wasn't this 'not taken' for very long time? Fingers crossed people don't give up here

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                      Hey, Michael, if you're reading this, I have a suggestion. Would you consider dedicating an article for this eON wrapper? It is an achievement after all, a DX10 wrapper for linux, now ahead of wine in both performance and feature set. Making an interview with some VP representative about some technical aspects, about future plans etc. and putting it on the front page would probably be interesting for a lot of people. Maybe it could even grab the attention of more publishers, so we'd have a better chance of seeing oldies on linux.
                      In my experience: If you want Michael to read this, you should reply to him == quote the first post.

Comment

Working...
                      X