No announcement yet.

AMDKFD -- AMD HSA On Linux -- Will Not Support 32-Bit Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see the patch that disables it is for 32bit apps on 64bit kernel. What if the kernel is 32bit itself? Will that work?

Also, if 32bit apps are supported on Windows and someone actually writes a 32bit app for Windows using HSA that latter would want to port to Linux there is a high chance that the ported app will also be 32bit. And there is also wine...

Comment

Originally posted by Ansla View Post
      I see the patch that disables it is for 32bit apps on 64bit kernel. What if the kernel is 32bit itself? Will that work?

Also, if 32bit apps are supported on Windows and someone actually writes a 32bit app for Windows using HSA that latter would want to port to Linux there is a high chance that the ported app will also be 32bit. And there is also wine...
      You're assuming AMD is shipping 32bit HSA on Windows. Are they?

Comment

I'm sure that if they didn't support it on Windows there would be no question if to support on Linux or not. 32bit is still popular on Windows, last time I had to use one the default browser was 32bit (with a separate menu entry for the 64bit variant) and MS Office also was recomending the 32bit version even though 64bit one was also available.

Comment

No, as far as we can see 32-bit kernels on 64-bit hardware are going away pretty quickly. If something changes we can revisit 32-bit kernel support but no plans at this time.

Yeah, if we do end up needing 32-bit application support it would be for indirect reasons like that. So far we haven't seen them but that doesn't mean they won't materialize in the future. We're not taking the 32-bit support out, just adding code to disable it for now so we don't get stuck supporting 32-bit userspace forever with nobody using it.
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
            if you're running 64-bit capable hardware with a 32-bit OS in a business environment, you're likely running a legacy app that requires a 32-bit system that wouldn't benefit from HSA anyway.
            no, you are likely too dumb to understand that you can run legacy app in 64-bit system faster, so speed is not for you anyway

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
              no, you are likely too dumb to understand that you can run legacy app in 64-bit system faster, so speed is not for you anyway
              I think Veerappan's point was that the primary use of 32-bit OS on 64-bit hardware these days is at the direction of a corporate IT department, in the hope of at least slightly reducing support issues related to 32-bit legacy applications (at least that's what the application vendors tell them). Individual knowledge or preference is rarely a factor.
              Last edited by bridgman; 11 December 2014, 04:51 PM.
              Test signature

Comment

Working...
              X