Show Your Support: This site is primarily supported by advertisements. Ads are what have allowed this site to be maintained on a daily basis for the past 18+ years. We do our best to ensure only clean, relevant ads are shown, when any nasty ads are detected, we work to remove them ASAP. If you would like to view the site without ads while still supporting our work, please consider our ad-free Phoronix Premium.
Exciting GSoC Projects For 2011
Below is a list of some of the interesting and accepted Google Summer of Code projects spotted this evening.
- Port ZFS to the Haiku operating system.
- USB 3.0 and USB video driver support for the Haiku operating system.
- GnuCash cloud integration support with Google Docs.
- OpenCL support for the GIMP's GEGL (Generic Graphics) Library. This includes porting GEGL operations to OpenGL and supporting automatic memory management and migration of tiles to/from the GPU and CPU.
- CPU and memory optimizations for the GCC compiler.
- An ebuild generator for Gentoo.
- A location-aware GNOME Shell.
- Port NetworkManager to FreeBSD.
- Fluxbox to receive OpenGL / X Render compositing support similar to Compiz.
- ARM architecture support for CoreBoot
- Port Virtio drivers from NetBSD to DragonflyBSD to speed-up DragonflyBSD virtualization as a KVM guest.
- OpenCL, GLSL shader, and video decode support in Crystal Space
- Port the AbiWord word processor to using GTK+ 3.0.
- A variety of Blender animation program improvements: polishing the animation system, improved motion capture import and work-flow, fluid simulation improvements, dynamic paint support, and 3D audio support.
- The FFmpeg / Libav projects will hopefully receive Flash screen video support, play-lists support, updates to the Dirac video codec, and hardware accelerated H.264 video decoding on Android. The H.264 Android decoding will be done using Android's Stagefright multimedia framework.
- Modularize KDE KWin to better ready it for porting to the Wayland Display Server.
- QML video support for KDE's Win.
- Performance improvements for LibreOffice.
- An Arch Linux back-end to the OpenSUSE Build Service.
- SaX3 for openSUSE, a new version of SaX for xorg.conf settings generation.
- A SuSE bug reporting utility.
- NeXT emulation support for QEMU.
- Intel IA64 architecture user-level emulation support.
- Upstreaming the Android Emulator for QEMU.
- EXT4 snapshots in Fedora for yum, similar to the Btrfs snapshot feature.
- A generic re-striper for the Btrfs file-system to change between different RAID levels.
- Hot file-system backups for EXT4 snapshots.
- Super optimizations for LLVM.
- A Google Android port of the VideoLAN VLC program.
- An OpenGL interface to VLC.
- Improvement's to Wine's Explorer implementation.
- Port VirtIO to Xen.
- JPEG XR support for Mozilla Firefox.
- FUSE support for MINIX 3.
- Porting the NetBSD user-land to MINIX 3.
A list of the 2011 GSoC projects can be found on this web-page.