Steam's Latest Monthly Survey Puts Linux Gaming Marketshare At 0.75%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam's Latest Monthly Survey Puts Linux Gaming Marketshare At 0.75%

Phoronix: Steam's Latest Monthly Survey Puts Linux Gaming Marketshare At 0.75%

Valve has put out their Steam survey results for February 2017 and show another drop in the estimated Linux gaming market-share...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder if they are excluding virtual machines or not.. because i have tested Steam on lots of virtual machines with Windows.. virtualize Linux for gaming make no sense unless of are playing OpenArena (one of few games with bigger Linux performace) only. Lots of Linux guys game Windows virtual for gaming, or KVM Windows machine..
    Regardless Linux is Linux market percentage is worse and worse.. Apple dont care about gamers workstation and Vulkan and Android-x86 / RemixOS has own crisis and development is slow.
    So gamers will stay with Windows few more years.

Comment

I bet the number for "8 cpus" will increase soon...

Comment

Originally posted by indepe View Post
        I bet the number for "8 cpus" will increase soon...
        Don't count on it. The number of AMD cards keeps dropping, even when they currently have inexpensive Polaris that many thought would increase their market share.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post

Don't count on it. The number of AMD cards keeps dropping, even when they currently have inexpensive Polaris that many thought would increase their market share.
          He was talking about the CPUs.

Comment

I don't use the native Linux version of Steam anymore even though I'm on Linux. The only game I play is CSGO and I get far better performance playing through Wine with native D3D9 on radeonsi with an RX460. The native Linux version has terrible bugs, for example it crashes far too often, and the choppiness (compared to the perfect smoothness and constant usually 200+ fps of Wine/d3d9) makes it unplayable for me. Wine without native D3D9 is even worse though, even with CSMT the choppiness is even worse than the native Linux version.

Comment

Graph card at Linux is sucks, I hope kernel module amdgpu will improve it.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                It is random who Valve pics to this survey. many Linux users do not ever have the possibility to take part of this survey. Many are using Steam with wine-staging, so Steam survey is as stupid as this one:
                This report lists the market share of the top operating systems in use, like Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, and Linux.

(above is based on some random mouse clicks in US servers)
                ]
                I've noticed my Wine platform almost always gets the survey on first install, but my Linux platforms rarely do.

I really think that Wine users should NOT be listed as Windows users, but under ("Other, Windows Compatible"). Likewise they should put ReactOS users there when they start trickling in over the next couple years once ReactOS hits a good enough beta for full time use by developers. It may be good for them even to list the OS as "WineLib" for anyone using Wine regardless of platform.

Comment

Chinese results on average i would guess... these massively use Windows, as a proof just look under Language - Simplified Chinese skyrocketed

At least they are switching from Windows XP to Windows 7 finally

edit: also Korean and Thai go up same like English, everybody else down... so clear chinese results
                  Last edited by dungeon; 02 March 2017, 04:04 AM.

Comment

This survey is pretty useless.

Comment

Working...
                    X