Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An End-User Has Made It Easier To Build ROCm & AMD GPU Machine Learning Software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An End-User Has Made It Easier To Build ROCm & AMD GPU Machine Learning Software

Phoronix: An End-User Has Made It Easier To Build ROCm & AMD GPU Machine Learning Software

An end-user and Phoronix reader has taken up creating his own AMD ROCm SDK build system to make it easier to setup a machine learning software stack from scratch on AMD Radeon GPUs under Linux. This open-source build system pulls in the AMD ROCm source code as well as AMD GPU-accelerated tools like PyTorch and ONNX and makes it easier to deploy and without having to rely on Docker or other solutions...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Not requiring Docker/Kubernetes/pynb/colab when they're not needed is a big plus in my book.

Comment

Well, good luck to him and will follow closely. This would be great news if he pulls it off and a big embarrassment to AMD. It’s really bad that it takes an end user to do your job.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
        Well, good luck to him and will follow closely. This would be great news if he pulls it off and a big embarrassment to AMD. It’s really bad that it takes an end user to do your job.
        Isn't that the norm or tradition with AMD and their gpus/software - just like the guy who 'hacked' CUDA for AMD gpus (i.e. Zluda)- AMD's support of their own software and gpus is atrocious - I guess the silver lining in all of this is FOSS that makes it easier for the end user - hooray! But, yeah, 'embarrassment' is the theme, here.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
          You are right, but it also shows the necessity of building a community. The members, if interested, will bring up contributions in various (unofficial) ways. Just like in game development, you are nothing without your community (as clients look at various communities for support or ideas, not all clients).

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
            Isn't that the norm or tradition with AMD and their gpus/software - just like the guy who 'hacked' CUDA for AMD gpus (i.e. Zluda)- AMD's support of their own software and gpus is atrocious - I guess the silver lining in all of this is FOSS that makes it easier for the end user - hooray! But, yeah, 'embarrassment' is the theme, here.
            Surely that's bait. AMD paid the guy to make zluda work with amd gpu's.

Comment

Originally posted by aerospace View Post
              Not requiring Docker/Kubernetes/pynb/colab when they're not needed is a big plus in my book.
              Not in mine, it's like saying linus should be embaressed that people created distributions... that's are advantages of opensource...

Comment

Originally posted by geerge View Post

Surely that's bait. AMD paid the guy to make zluda work with amd gpu's.
                No, the bait is pointing out how the NVIDIA/CUDA EULA makes ZLUDA illegal software in countries that don't have strong reverse engineering protection laws.

You may not reverse engineer, decompile or disassemble, or remove copyright or other proprietary notices from any portion of the SDK or copies of the SDK.

You may not reverse engineer, decompile or disassemble any portion of the output generated using SDK elements for the purpose of translating such output artifacts to target a non-NVIDIA platform.

Comment

AMD has been actively working with distros to include ROCm enabled across a wide range of GPUs via native packages. For example, ROCm for Fedora (https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/ROCm6Release) and debian (https://apt.rocm.debian.net/).

Comment

AMD: Please hire him!

Also, include patches to upstream for consumer GPU support!

Comment

Working...
                    X