Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An End-User Has Made It Easier To Build ROCm & AMD GPU Machine Learning Software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
    I'm sorry, but you sound like a businessman. Look at China. They ignore occidental patents and that made get tons of money. Patents are good for sharks. Patents kill innovation.
    China is not a good example at all.

China makes lots of money because the U.S. and Europe never did really learn how to live without slavery.

This is the sad truth, coming from a White guy, all great civilizations were built using cheap labor and there is nothing cheaper than free labor, as in slavery.

When slavery was outlawed it was replaced with indentured servitude. When that was outlawed, minimum wage took over.

Problem is that as minimum wage went up, production started moving overseas where they have significantly more lax labor laws and in fact, according to a recent U.N. report, China is one of the last countries on Earth where modern slavery still exists,

I remember reading an article about Apple and their iPhones and the article was explaining why Apple chose to have them built in China. At the Chinese factory, if Apple calls up 3 in the morning and says I need a few million units in a month, the factory has 100 thousand people they can pull out of bed and put them to work.

China steals IP with abandon and American and European countries ignore it because they get really cheap labor.

That's how China makes their money, from everyone willing to turn a blind eye to what they are doing to their fellow man over there.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironmask View Post
      Damn, when I say AMD doesn't care about their GPUs I meant it somewhat facetiously, but they genuinely don't care, do they?
      I hate to say it but I'm glad I caved and just got an NVidia card, this is just stupid at this point.
      And now NVidia is probably going to start making CPUs and eat AMD's lunch, purely due to optics, just because AMD is becoming notoriously outdated looking now that GPUs are basically powering the global economy with the current AI bubble. I think even Intel looks more forward-thinking than AMD does to the average investor at this point. This is gonna go in the books as a huge blunder and missed opportunity, like how Microsoft ignored smartphones until it was too late.
      If you want to talk forward thinking and investing, if you had invested 10 grand in NVIDIA 10 years ago, today you would have about 2 million dollars.

I was going to buy NVIDIA when it was 600 a share, but I balked because I thought the price was too high, even though it was projected to hit 1200 a share.

I bought it at 950 and i made 15 grand in 2 days it skyrocketed.

NVIDIA stock is getting ready for a 10-1 split, it's at 1144 and moving up,

If you had put 1000 in NVIDIA in 2005, today you would have 650 grand.

What I think is going to happen is the stock will hit 1250 before the split, after the split when it's at 125 a share, casual investors will jump on it and send it skyrocketing, maybe 300 before the end of the year.

If anyone reading this has a few bucks to spare, buy as much NVIDIA as you can before the split and let it ride, in a few years each share will be worth over a grand again.

Comment

Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post
        I agree on some of your points but sometimes, you simply need time.

When was cuda launched and when was rocm launched?

Also remember, before rocm, AMD backed an open standard (like the good guys they are) that was opencl, which ngreedia proceeded to poorly support, so they could push another one of their proprietary crap (cuda).

So AMD started from zero with rocm.

Anyways, all these posts always end in the non stop trashing of AMD.
        You have it backwards, NVIDIA released CUDA in 2006, OpenCL was released in 2008.

CUDA exists because Intel prevented NVIDIA from entering the x86 CPU market,

NVIDIA used to have an x86 license to make chipsets and they claimed it also gave them the right to make CPUs, Intel said no.

A lawsuit followed and Intel gave NVIDIA 1.5 billion dollars over a 5 year period to settle the suit.

NVIDIA took that money and created the GPGPU market with CUDA.

ROCM was released in 2016, 8 years ago, and AMD has done almost nothing with it.

AMD clearly has no interest in GPGPU, they are not the good guys, they are not the bad guys, they are a company that has made the business decision to compete using more CPU cores rather than GPU acceleration.

AMD sees that as their path to growth,

It's likely that NVIDIA will do the same thing in 5 years if their ARM based CPUs take off.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post

Make distro packaging less of a giant pain in the ass, and maybe they would. Both deb and rpm are awful to deal with. Flatpak is hardly better, but at least it's distro agnostic unlike the first 2.
          Flatcrap isn't any better.

The issue is the outdated release scheme in many Linux distros. That's why bleeding edge is a lot better for many stuff. Linux kernel, MESA, ffmpeg and other stuff evolves very fast.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

China is not a good example at all.

China makes lots of money because the U.S. and Europe never did really learn how to live without slavery.

This is the sad truth, coming from a White guy, all great civilizations were built using cheap labor and there is nothing cheaper than free labor, as in slavery.

When slavery was outlawed it was replaced with indentured servitude. When that was outlawed, minimum wage took over.

Problem is that as minimum wage went up, production started moving overseas where they have significantly more lax labor laws and in fact, according to a recent U.N. report, China is one of the last countries on Earth where modern slavery still exists,

I remember reading an article about Apple and their iPhones and the article was explaining why Apple chose to have them built in China. At the Chinese factory, if Apple calls up 3 in the morning and says I need a few million units in a month, the factory has 100 thousand people they can pull out of bed and put them to work.

China steals IP with abandon and American and European countries ignore it because they get really cheap labor.

That's how China makes their money, from everyone willing to turn a blind eye to what they are doing to their fellow man over there.
            I'm aware China is the neoliberal dream and it's a hell to live in.

But patents kill innovation. Innovation is done by smaller companies and individuals, not giant groups. Big ones steal and provide big resources, buying startups and such. Microsoft, Google, Apple, Samsung and others steal more than innovate.

The rest of innovation is done at research labs, mostly in universities.

I'm sorry to say it, but you have zero clue about how innovation is achieved. Your attitude is moronic in that regards, beyond ridiculous. It seems you have no clue about electronics, IT, computing, etc.

Comment

You have it backwards, NVIDIA released CUDA in 2006, OpenCL was released in 2008.

CUDA exists because Intel prevented NVIDIA from entering the x86 CPU market,

NVIDIA used to have an x86 license to make chipsets and they claimed it also gave them the right to make CPUs, Intel said no.

A lawsuit followed and Intel gave NVIDIA 1.5 billion dollars over a 5 year period to settle the suit.

NVIDIA took that money and created the GPGPU market with CUDA.

ROCM was released in 2016, 8 years ago, and AMD has done almost nothing with it.

AMD clearly has no interest in GPGPU, they are not the good guys, they are not the bad guys, they are a company that has made the business decision to compete using more CPU cores rather than GPU acceleration.

AMD sees that as their path to growth,

It's likely that NVIDIA will do the same thing in 5 years if their ARM based CPUs take off.

And conveniently, you ignore that thanks to Intel illegal actions, AMD was at the brink of bankruptcy and it took them a long time to pay their debts. So excuse them for not throwing their non existent money on GPUs.

Heck, they might still have some debts on their name.

Comment

Originally posted by cgmb View Post
                Thank you for the offer. While I don't have any Polaris 21 GPUs like the RX 560 card you're offering, I do have plenty of Fiji, Polaris 10, and Polaris 20 cards available. I think Debian would benefit more from users with those pre-Vega GPUs running the tests themselves, filing good bug reports, and helping to debug the issues found.
                No problem. Those users are welcome to PM me should they want one, first comes first serve.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
                  But patents kill innovation. Innovation is done by smaller companies and individuals, not giant groups. Big ones steal and provide big resources, buying startups and such. Microsoft, Google, Apple, Samsung and others steal more than innovate.

The rest of innovation is done at research labs, mostly in universities.

I'm sorry to say it, but you have zero clue about how innovation is achieved. Your attitude is moronic in that regards, beyond ridiculous. It seems you have no clue about electronics, IT, computing, etc.
                  I am going to prove to you, very easily, how wrong you are,

Remove all the inventions that IBM, Microsoft, Google, Bell Labs, Bell System, Netflix, Red Hat, Intel, AMD, Apple, Samsung, LG, Ford, Tesla, literally every big company, ever created and brought to market, where would we be today?

I'll save you the trouble of pondering the question, the answer is like the Amish.

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
                    just like the guy who 'hacked' CUDA for AMD gpus (i.e. Zluda).
                    That was work AMD directly paid for. They just decided not to go with it for business reasons (either because they want to encourage people to use their own product stack or because of CUDA licensing reasons)

Comment

I am going to prove to you, very easily, how wrong you are,

Remove all the inventions that IBM, Microsoft, Google, Bell Labs, Bell System, Netflix, Red Hat, Intel, AMD, Apple, Samsung, LG, Ford, Tesla, literally every big company, ever created and brought to market, where would we be today?

I'll save you the trouble of pondering the question, the answer is like the Amish.
                      You're an absolute imbecile. No offense—just an accurate observation of your asinine drivel.

Innovation? Stolen. Big corporations buy out startups, hijack talent, and shamelessly plagiarize ideas. Their greed is monstrously parasitic.

Corporate oligopolies don’t just stifle innovation—they crush it. We're trapped in a tech quagmire, meticulously orchestrated to line their already bloated pockets.

Moore’s Law? Long dead, thanks to these corporate leeches. They hoard breakthrough tech that could make today’s CPUs and GPUs look like ancient relics, just to keep milking us with overpriced, obsolete junk.

Keep parroting corporate propaganda, and you might actually start believing the bullshit you spew. Congrats on your delusion!

Are you capable of a single independent thought, or are you just another mindless corporate puppet?​
                      Last edited by timofonic; 29 May 2024, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X