Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 6.10 Staging Drops Broken & Unused Drivers To Remove 19k L.O.C.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 6.10 Staging Drops Broken & Unused Drivers To Remove 19k L.O.C.

Phoronix: Linux 6.10 Staging Drops Broken & Unused Drivers To Remove 19k L.O.C.

In addition to the Linux 6.10 USB changes and char/misc with the new NTSYNC driver, Greg Kroah-Hartman on Wednesday also sent out the staging updates for Linux 6.10. There isn't much in the way of new code but some 19k lines of code removed thanks to removing an unused driver as well as a broken driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

“But, I am using that.”

Probably someone who has not upgraded past kernel 4.0

Comment

or about as much as one amdgpu header ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ the users of those experimental drivers will probably not be amused, ... :-/

Comment

Originally posted by jeisom View Post
        “But, I am using that.”
        To be fair, niche drivers like the "pi433" and recent Steam Deck Platform driver probably shouldn't be included in the Linux kernel in the first place.

Some bits of the PRISM2_USB wireless driver code date back to 1999. It's 2024 and support for these Intersil (Conexant) Prism 2/2.5/3 802.11b USB devices is now removed from the mainline kernel
        1999 is the same year that Gnome was released. It is 2024 so can we get rid of that piece of shite from Linux yet?

Ironically relating to recent post.
        Last edited by kpedersen; 23 May 2024, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

To be fair, niche drivers like the "pi433" and recent Steam Deck Platform driver probably shouldn't be included in the Linux kernel in the first place.

1999 is the same year that Gnome was released. It is 2024 so can we get rid of that piece of shite from Linux yet?

I agree with most of your assessment, except I do think the steam deck platform driver is not niche. If there was like a few hundred, sure, but at this point I believe we are talking millions now.

Comment

Gnome isn't part of the kernel, so you can remove it whenever you want.
            Kind of like how I don't have KDE installed, except I don't complain about things that I don't use.

Comment

no, i don't want to search/hunt for drivers, that idea was always dumb

are you high?

Comment

Originally posted by jeisom View Post

I agree with most of your assessment, except I do think the steam deck platform driver is not niche. If there was like a few hundred, sure, but at this point I believe we are talking millions now.
                Yes, it was a long time ago now that they passed a million units sold.

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
                  or about as much as one amdgpu header ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ the users of those experimental drivers will probably not be amused, ... :-/
                  Headers aren't really the same as functional code. These headers AFAIU are just storage of machine-generated data about various GPUs that the actual driver code can then use.

Comment

Working...
                  X