Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

libdisplay-info Marks Its First Release To Reduce EDID/DisplayID Parsing Fragmentation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• libdisplay-info Marks Its First Release To Reduce EDID/DisplayID Parsing Fragmentation

Phoronix: libdisplay-info Marks Its First Release To Reduce EDID/DisplayID Parsing Fragmentation

The first tagged release of libdisplay-info (v0.1) is now available for this new library that aims to reduce code duplication and fragmentation among Wayland compositors and other software making use of monitor EDID and DisplayID parsing...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great!
    I hope the developers from both KDE and Gnome sides contribute to it and of course others if they find it useful.
    It would be nice if Kodi developers join this endeavor too.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
      Great!
      I hope the developers from both KDE and Gnome sides contribute to it and of course others if they find it useful.
      It would be nice if Kodi developers join this endeavor too.
      Jep, in the existing commit log there's already devs from wlroot, gnome and weston - pretty sure kde devs will happily pick it up as well. Let's see if anyone cares to wire it up in Xorg - would reduce the maintenance burden a bit.

Comment

One of the things I'd still love to see in DEs in regard to displays is the ability to control the brightness of external monitors. There seems to be a whole protocol that most displays apparently support, but AFAIK it requires kernel extensions and is not supported in most DEs.

Comment

Originally posted by jonkoops View Post
          One of the things I'd still love to see in DEs in regard to displays is the ability to control the brightness of external monitors. There seems to be a whole protocol that most displays apparently support, but AFAIK it requires kernel extensions and is not supported in most DEs.
          I'm using the following GNOME extension for that: https://extensions.gnome.org/extensi...using-ddcutil/

The extensions allows you to control the brightness using keybindings. I'm using <Super>KP_Add and <Super>KP_Subtract (so win- and win+) for these. For best results it wanted to add rules to udev to automatically set the right group for the device it needs to control. Anyway, read https://github.com/daitj/gnome-displ...htness-ddcutil.

It would be nice if it was built in to KDE/GNOME/etc.

Comment

OMG I guess in 10 years they will realize this should have been done from the get go. Ah, no, I'm joking, let fragmentation continue.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
              OMG I guess in 10 years they will realize this should have been done from the get go. Ah, no, I'm joking, let fragmentation continue.
              X has a standard interface for this stuff. X is also still very much alive: https://www.phoronix.com/news/XDC-2023-Spain

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
                X has a standard interface for this stuff. X is also still very much alive: https://www.phoronix.com/news/XDC-2023-Spain
                Most likely > 90% of that conference will be about anything but X11. You know, Wayland, libinput, mesa, wlroots, that sort of stuff …

Why? Because people on these conferences usually talk about what they are working on and if only very few people work on X11 … you get the idea.

Comment

DXVK already makes use of it:

Comment

Originally posted by jonkoops View Post
                    I am doing so via "gddccontrol". The program is not dependent on any particular DE as far as I know.

Comment

Working...
                    X