No announcement yet.

Intel's Open-Source Vulkan Driver Moves Closer To Working Ray-Tracing Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel's Open-Source Vulkan Driver Moves Closer To Working Ray-Tracing Support

Phoronix: Intel's Open-Source Vulkan Driver Moves Closer To Working Ray-Tracing Support

Going back to late 2020 there has been bits of Intel Vulkan ray-tracing preparations landing within their Mesa "ANV" open-source Vulkan driver in anticipation of Xe HPG with hardware ray-tracing capabilities...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Honestly I would rather have HDR support than Ray-tracing!

Comment

Honestly I would rather have ARC actually come out and move on from its year long delays.

Comment

I wonder if it'll render GravityMark correctly (unlike Radv currently)

Comment

Too bad ARC is proving to be a total dog so far. I want to see intel win in the GPU market but right now, oh man! Failure imminent if they don't get it together faster.
          Last edited by creative; 06 August 2022, 04:25 PM.

Comment

I lost track trying to follow what is the current situation in regards to Intel GPU division, it seems that will be an archmage+ release prior to battlemage, the current Arc is "released" in China, and everything else is somewhat delayed or not ready!?

Comment

Originally posted by creative View Post
              Too bad ARC is proving to be a total dog so far. I want to see intel win in the GPU market but right now, oh man! Failure imminent if they don't get it together faster.
              isn't that just on windows?

Comment

Originally posted by Mangix View Post

isn't that just on windows?
                I haven't seen any tests on linux yet, so nobody really knows. I suspect performance in general might be a bit better on linux since most of the apps that need performance are now running on Vulkan rather than OpenGL, but on the other hand they're just starting to get to working ray tracing support so who knows what other advanced features are still disabled on linux.

Regardless Arc won't be considered a success by Intel unless they're selling cards on windows. The linux market isn't big enough for them to consider it much when it comes to deciding whether to continue their graphics cards or can the whole business.
                Last edited by smitty3268; 06 August 2022, 08:37 PM.

Comment

If it supports real-time AV1 encoding it will be pretty cool for streamers. Use it to process and stream the game while it runs on a more powerful card.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

I haven't seen any tests on linux yet, so nobody really knows. I suspect performance in general might be a bit better on linux since most of the apps that need performance are now running on Vulkan rather than OpenGL, but on the other hand they're just starting to get to working ray tracing support so who knows what other advanced features are still disabled on linux.

Regardless Arc won't be considered a success by Intel unless they're selling cards on windows. The linux market isn't big enough for them to consider it much when it comes to deciding whether to continue their graphics cards or can the whole business.
                    main problems i've heard of ARC is bad D3D and OpenGL performance and buggy/broken features.

Comment

Working...
                    X