Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

X.Org Server 1.20 RC5 Released, Adds EGLStreams To Let NVIDIA Work With XWayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X.Org Server 1.20 RC5 Released, Adds EGLStreams To Let NVIDIA Work With XWayland

Phoronix: X.Org Server 1.20 RC5 Released, Adds EGLStreams To Let NVIDIA Work With XWayland

Adam Jackson of Red Hat today announced the X.Org Server 1.20 Release Candidate 5, which he believes will be the last test release before going gold. Most excitingly about this new release candidate is the merged support for allowing the NVIDIA proprietary driver to work with XWayland...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Maybe its ignance of me but it seems like every 5 or 10 years they should do major cleanup and dropoff legacy baggage.

X reminds me of systemd in that what it does is so expansive possibly taking it too far.

Sure I miss certain features like x11 forewarding of apps and displays. Wayland seems like a big improvement though.

If nvidia actually gave a fuck about linux they would release a open driver not some NIH toy module. Their drivers cause so many issues being closed it pushes me away and disappoints me.

Comment

Annoyed that https://patchwork.freedesktop.org/patch/218453/ didn't make it into RC5, so far only RC1 has actually worked with the intel DDX only because it was released before the modifiers stuff landed, I hope there's a RC6 that people can actually test properly. There's a bug in modesetting on both 1.19.5 and 1.20-rc's that freeze plamsashell and the native steam client

Comment

It still won't work in KDE, right? Gnome developers should have avoided this too.

Comment

most exciting feature is glvnd, so no more bumblebee needed

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
            If nvidia actually gave a fuck about linux they would release a open driver not some NIH toy module. Their drivers cause so many issues being closed it pushes me away and disappoints me.
            Seems you forgot that Mesa is not some kind of god's gift, It is just another shitty OpenGL implementation. Yes, some companies choose to get some OpenGL on linux easy way and use Mesa, but this is not mandatory. Some, like AMD just after obtaining ATI prefer to publish GPU specs and leave driver development to FOSS community entirely. Unlike them Nvidia always cared about performance, having marketshare about 1% linux can't expect to be first class customer, but nvidia have created almost as good as windows driver by making most of their code shareable between windows and linux.
            So, it actually wayland developers' fault that they choose to use proprietary solution instead of open. Maybe they just didn't think and just take what lied near, or they intentionally tried to force nvidia to switch to open driver (and loose all their performance and stability advantage), but here we are and it is up to wayland developers to fix this mess. Instead most of them crying "fu nvidia" and wait someone will do their job their way.

Comment

Wow, this denial of reality is astonishing! Do you really believe the crap you wrote?

4 out of 4 "facts" in your posting are "alternative". Congratulations!

Comment

You've mentioned some "facts", marked them "alternative", but prefer not to list them and not to expoain what wrong with them. To hell with arguments, just insult opponent.
                So, actual crap is your message.

Comment

Something merged that late, doesn't need testing? So far XWayland on Plasma-Wayland doesn't work well, but if testing is skipped now for XWayland I'm not sure what to expect... And if some ddx drivers are affected by some bugs as well, KDE and SDDM probably will not work either?

Comment

Regardless of what anyone thinks, it is downright frustrating (and super annoying of Nvidia) to always force people to do things their way. Just for them.
                    Talk about NIH syndrome.

In some cases it is fine, because it is a feature not readily available, but in cases where they want to do something different just because, it is really bad of them.
                    And we should stop sending them the message that it is OK for Nvidia to make everyones else life harder.

Comment

Working...
                    X