Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

X.Org Server 1.20 RC5 Released, Adds EGLStreams To Let NVIDIA Work With XWayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by grigi View Post
    Regardless of what anyone thinks, it is downright frustrating (and super annoying of Nvidia) to always force people to do things their way. Just for them.
    Talk about NIH syndrome.

In some cases it is fine, because it is a feature not readily available, but in cases where they want to do something different just because, it is really bad of them.
    And we should stop sending them the message that it is OK for Nvidia to make everyones else life harder.
    Indeed. In a lot of areas Linux is big enough to demand first-class and open support from vendors, but sadly consumer graphics cards isn't one of them, so we get shoveled second-rate garbage like NVIDIA's dkms shim, and eglstreams. There are some who don't mind dealing the the fallout themselves, for everyone else there's finally a better option (AMD).

Comment

And we should stop sending them the message that it is OK for Nvidia to make everyones else life harder.
      Shhh... don't tell anyone, or you'll be charged of being a AMD fanboy... 'cause you know, nvidia fanboys suffer when you show them reality, they prefer hiding behind the higher FPS numbers and pretend all the rest is ok because FPS are higher.

Anyway, seriously, here is RedHat to blame, not nVidia. They (or he, namely Adam Jackson) could do something good for the FOSS community and chose not to.

However, from a different perspective, EGLStreams support in XWayland could be detrimental to nVidia users instead, because it provides them with a fake Wayland support and a good reason for nVidia not to add Wayland support themselves. I suspect XWayland will become a burden as soon as Wayland gets widely adopted and enabled by default. Likely new features will be added to Wayland, but not to XWayland. At that time nVidia users will face the handicap of being forced to XWayland: maybe they will then realize how bad nVidia is.

Or maybe I'm just dreaming of a perfect world.

Comment

Originally posted by Khrundel View Post
        Seems you forgot that Mesa is not some kind of god's gift, It is just another shitty OpenGL implementation. Yes, some companies choose to get some OpenGL on linux easy way and use Mesa, but this is not mandatory. Some, like AMD just after obtaining ATI prefer to publish GPU specs and leave driver development to FOSS community entirely. Unlike them Nvidia always cared about performance, having marketshare about 1% linux can't expect to be first class customer, but nvidia have created almost as good as windows driver by making most of their code shareable between windows and linux.
        So, it actually wayland developers' fault that they choose to use proprietary solution instead of open. Maybe they just didn't think and just take what lied near, or they intentionally tried to force nvidia to switch to open driver (and loose all their performance and stability advantage), but here we are and it is up to wayland developers to fix this mess. Instead most of them crying "fu nvidia" and wait someone will do their job their way.
        Look pal you can be an Nvidia fanboi/shill all you want. I won't judge. But that comment....

Comment

Regardless of what anyone thinks, it is downright frustrating (and super annoying of Nvidia) to always force people to do things their way. Just for them.
          That is upside-down view of current situation. Nvidia have created an OpenGl implementation. Created it standard way, with libgl*.so, GLX, EGL, DDX - all major attach points for an X11 opengl implementation. And they are pretty happy with all this. That is the status quo. And then some guys with NIH syndrome (as you say, personally I don't use this term), decided to replace X11. Not just create another option, their goal is full replacement. Nvidia have to cope, they have added kms, but wayland authors say this isn't enough, nvidia must rewrite their driver to become more like Mesa or rewrite it within the Mesa.
          So, with all honesty you can afford, tell me, who actually are trying to force people to do something their way?

Comment

Originally posted by Khrundel View Post
            That is upside-down view of current situation. Nvidia have created an OpenGl implementation. Created it standard way, with libgl*.so, GLX, EGL, DDX - all major attach points for an X11 opengl implementation. And they are pretty happy with all this. That is the status quo. And then some guys with NIH syndrome (as you say, personally I don't use this term), decided to replace X11. Not just create another option, their goal is full replacement. Nvidia have to cope, they have added kms, but wayland authors say this isn't enough, nvidia must rewrite their driver to become more like Mesa or rewrite it within the Mesa.
            So, with all honesty you can afford, tell me, who actually are trying to force people to do something their way?
            This pile of dogshit is so utterly stupid that it doesn't even deserve a reply, but I wanted to thank you because I'm laughing like never before in a otherwise boring day. You win the Khrundelprize of the best troll in the known universe!

Poor nVidia, I'm going to make a big donation to the nVidia charity.
            Last edited by lucrus; 25 April 2018, 02:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lucrus View Post

This pile of dogshit is so utterly stupid that it doesn't even deserve a reply, but I want to thank you because I'm laughing like never before in a otherwise boring day! You win the Khrundelprize of the best troll in the known universe!
              That is sttange way to write "Four legs good, two legs bad."

Comment

I agree that it would be pretty great if the nvidia driver was open-source, especially if it was part of Mesa.
                Of course, it raises problem like the whole Wayland bullshit, and having a kernel module that breaks once every few kernel releases is annoying.

But for years the nvidia driver stomped basically every other driver on Linux for years on many aspect and didn't lose all of its advantages.But hey, go ahead, shit on actually good drivers because it's proprietary and from nvidia. And please call me an nvidia fanboy, it's much easier than finding actual arguments anyway.

Comment

It's also disabled by default unless explicitly enabled by passing the configure option --enable-xwayland-eglstream because it is still not production quality.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
                    Maybe its ignance of me but it seems like every 5 or 10 years they should do major cleanup and dropoff legacy baggage.
                    For the nth time, Xorg cannot because it is the X11 protocol mandating something and they can't just drop it even if it's not used once in the last 20 years.

X reminds me of systemd in that what it does is so expansive possibly taking it too far.
                    Your understanding of systemd is wrong.

If nvidia actually gave a fuck about linux they would release a open driver not some NIH toy module. Their drivers cause so many issues being closed it pushes me away and disappoints me.
                    NVIDIA driver is not a NIH toy, it's the same driver they use on Windows with different glue code so it runs also on Linux.

Comment

Without even political considerations... I'm a long term frustrated Nvidia user. Yes : I have tons of FPS and my games work flawlessly ! But my desktop environments run like crap compared even to an Intel HD !, I have Nvidia specific workarounds to apply especially under my beloved KDE (but not only), at least one major bug, and all the wayland problematic.

Comment

Working...
                      X