Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by droste View Post

Some examples:
    Reflection, Generics, Exceptions/Error handling and of course better IDE.
    And would any of these help me develop faster? And what is the craze about IDE:s? Back in 2007 I wrote a complete competitor for Amazon EC2 and S3 using only nano and there where not a single point where I felt that nano kept me back or that an IDE would have given me any benefits, with the sole exception that copy+paste is a little bit uncomfortable in nano.

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post
      And would any of these help me develop faster?
      These are only examples, but yes! It's not even funny by how much faster you are as a programmer with the language features of modern programming languages.

And would any of these help me develop faster? And what is the craze about IDE:s? Back in 2007 I wrote a complete competitor for Amazon EC2 and S3 using only nano and there where not a single point where I felt that nano kept me back or that an IDE would have given me any benefits, with the sole exception that copy+paste is a little bit uncomfortable in nano.
      You would be way faster with a great IDE. That is why people use them.

Comment

These are only examples, but yes! It's not even funny by how much faster you are as a programmer with the language features of modern programming languages.

You would be way faster with a great IDE. That is why people use them.
        If you write is true then it either means that every developer that works for all out competitors are completely worthless or that I'm some super coder. To be honest I can actually live with either one :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Cthulhux View Post

I can actually deliver a C project faster than a Go project because I don't speak Go.

If you are sufficiently fluid in a language, it "will deliver". Go was made for people who don't know C well enough, according to Rob Pike. But I do.
          Unless it's something very low-level or a small piece of code, you'd probably finish learning and writing the Go project faster than writing it in C. I'm not even kidding here: If you know C or python, 95% of Go can be covered under a day.

Comment

If you write is true then it either means that every developer that works for all out competitors are completely worthless or that I'm some super coder. To be honest I can actually live with either one :-)
            Or that you don't know every developer of the competitor and they are just as good, but don't brag about it

Or more likley: You seem to forget that the hard part of programming good and original stuff is not writing the code down, but getting a good concept and good solutions for your problems. I don't know how you program stuff, but I have to think about stuff first. And probably redo it at least one time. The IDE is helping you on the writing down and redoing, not on the concept part.

Comment

Or that you don't know every developer of the competitor and they are just as good, but don't brag about it

Or more likley: You seem to forget that the hard part of programming good and original stuff is not writing the code down, but getting a good concept and good solutions for your problems. I don't know how you program stuff, but I have to think about stuff first. And probably redo it at least one time. The IDE is helping you on the writing down and redoing, not on the concept part.
              Oh I do know then (I've worked there briefly), they have 15 devs that do my job (and they all do C++/Java/.NET since they love to mix and match) but we always beat them when it comes to development time. In fact so much that we just recently buried them (i.e they have just shut down) completely due to close to all their customers moving away from them due to them never responding to bugs/feature-requests in time.

Now I know that they are not so slow and lazy due to their choice of languages but I just thought that your idea that I should somewhat be a faster deverloper if I changed from C as hilarious considering . Also if you think about it you must realise that it would be completely insane for me to throw away 20+ years experience with C to start fresh with a new language so that I in 20+ more years can be "faster" than what I'm today and be at the same level of experience.

Interesting that you do acknowledge that writing code is actually the small part of coding. That particular reason is one of the things why I don't feel that an IDE (more than what i.e gedit provides) will aid anything at all since the design part is what consumes 90% of the process anyway. And when you have worked in the same line of business for 20+ years then you also have a lot of code/projects lying around that you can build from since the needs of today is seldom 100% new.

Comment

Working...
              X