Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rust 1.17 Released

Phoronix: Rust 1.17 Released

Judging by the massive Rust fan base in our forums, those of you reading this will be delighted today about the newest version of Rustlang, v1.17...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Rust? Never heard of it.

Comment

massive Rust fan base in our forums
      Yep, +1

Comment

This post should have been written in Rust /s

Comment

i feel like rust could have been better, the threading and safety stuff is fine but the syntax is overly complex

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post
            i feel like rust could have been better, the threading and safety stuff is fine but the syntax is overly complex
            Look at the release notes. They made it simpler declaring static strings. They are trying to make Rust from release to release simpler.

Comment

Rust is so awesome. I'm doing a project to port Apple's shell_cmds to Rust just to learn Rust faster.

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post

Look at the release notes. They made it simpler declaring static strings. They are trying to make Rust from release to release simpler.
                Which seems the opposite approach from how I would expect modern programming language development to proceed.

Comment

Originally posted by davidbepo View Post
                  Yes. Its syntax seems unusual at first for most people including myself. I think that's mainly because it's not C like.

Comment

Originally posted by CleanCut View Post
                    Rust is so awesome. I'm doing a project to port Apple's shell_cmds to Rust just to learn Rust faster.
                    You should contribute to the Ion shell that I have been working on. It is currently much faster than both Bash and Dash, with a cleaner syntax and support for first class arrays -- something other shells completely lack. I am continually looking for people to mentor into the project, as otherwise it's just me working on the project, and that's no good for such a big project to scale into the future. One of the areas needing work is implementing more shell commands as builtin commands.

Comment

Working...
                    X