Psychec: A Type Inference Engine For C, The C Language Meets Unification

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Psychec: A Type Inference Engine For C, The C Language Meets Unification

Phoronix: Psychec: A Type Inference Engine For C, The C Language Meets Unification

Psychec is a research project out of the Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais (UFMG) in Brazil that is trying to be a type inference engine for incomplete C code. Here is a small guest post by the Psyche team about their work...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...r-Incomplete-C

Cool, never thought that our universities had this kind of stuff, and for the developer writing to phoronix, probably he/she is a forum user, so congrats to @someone

Comment

What is the point?

Comment

Originally posted by stqn View Post
        What is the point?
        It's on their website.

Comment

To accomplish this compilation of an incomplete C program we have developed an unification-based algorithm (Hindley-Milner style) that is capable of inferring any missing declaration.
          That should save C programmers having to declare anything at all. It's even better than auto! Also, I suppose we can just forget about the upcoming Modules TS, since there'll be no need to include headers any more.
          \end{sarcasm}

This is actually a really cool project. At a brief glance, it seems to be a written-from-scratch C compiler, which is itself written in C++14, using Haskell for the inference part. I'm not too sure what the use for it is though, outside of being a novel research project. Perhaps parts could be integrated into the mainstream compilers to provide better fix-it hints for automatically correcting trivial errors in source code?

Comment

Very nice project, impressive results. I can see a number of interesting applications, but I think it could be most useful as part of an IDE, compiling code that is not complete yet (with a few adjustments, and more checking for false positives), and giving better autocompletion.

Comment

Working...
            X