No announcement yet.

Remacs: Re-Implementing Emacs In Rust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So vim gets neovim, and now emacs needs to remacs. But remember, VIM IS SUPERIOR IN EVERY WAY! And there is no changing that.

Comment

Please, re-read the article. He never said that Rust has a bigger ecosystem than C/C++, he said it's rapidly GROWING.

Comment

Originally posted by ⲣⲂaggins View Post
        There is more than one Rust user. There are also more than 10, 100 or 1000 users. Everybody with high school level math skills is aware of the limitations of relative measurements, but Rust is well beyond the point at which the statement "Rust is rapidly growing." would have been meaningless.

Comment

Originally posted by cen1 View Post

My point was that time could be used to work on more important projects instead of re-implementing Rust in emacs.
          Some people are still working on BSD you know, talk about a waste of time!

Bottom line is: indirect contributions to stuff that matters to you are unpredictable and often surprisingly far reaching. I hate that people spend time on BSD because what is the effing point, but so many of their good ideas (and some time just code, think BPF...) make it to Linux which I care about.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
            Per say there's nothing wrong with doing something that provides no tangible benefit to anyone, but people are probably annoyed that they're spending development time on something that provides no tangible benefit to anyone. You're probably not going to go "You know what, maybe I'll spend the time I spend jerking off every day on building something", but changing from working on something that's useless to something that isn't is something a real person might actually do.
            You're very blind. There is benefit in a project like this. Working on projects like this can open the door to expanding the number of libraries available on Crates.io to solve similar problems. Remacs could split emacs up into generic modules that would be useful in a wide range of projects. If everyone went with your point of view, science and technology would never progress. There are always discoveries being found in places that people consider to 'provide no tangible benefit to anyone'.

Comment

Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post

he said implementing rust in emacs not emacs with rust. (just jesting)
              The only person who cought my "rust with emacs" joke, touche sir.

Comment

Originally posted by fguerraz View Post
                Some people are still working on BSD you know, talk about a waste of time!
                These people also work on openssh, libressl, etc. Waste of time...

Comment

Great work guys! You go get that C out of there.

Comment

Originally posted by edgar444 View Post
                    VIM IS SUPERIOR IN EVERY WAY!
                    Apart from not obeying usual text-editing conventions. The insertion point is supposed to go between characters (or before the first character, or after the last character); it is not on a character.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post

Growing, even when you're doing it rapidly, isn't all that impressive when you're coming from essentially nothing...
                      Tell that to the Big Bang....

Comment

Working...
                      X