Microsoft Open-Sources MSBuild Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RoninDusette View Post
    Ew. Microsoft infecting the community. Resist at all costs.
    They can't "un-free" the code afterwards. It's also under a proper open source license, not some shared source crap.
    If the code is usable, it should be used, no matter who wrote it.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
      They can't "un-free" the code afterwards. It's also under a proper open source license, not some shared source crap.
      I like this attitude. Just because it is MS doesn't mean the code is crap. It should be looked at and things should be learned from it and above all it should be ported.

At the same time... yawn... wake me up when they open source the windows kernel and the rest of windows for that matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
        neither can't they un-grant patents that are covered by it. this is probably even more important since it clears c# to the last bit

Comment

Yes, VS for UE4 on Linux would be cool. Not that I would be using the slow c# though.

Comment

Originally posted by mike4 View Post
            Yes, VS for UE4 on Linux would be cool. Not that I would be using the slow c# though.
            Um... I'm sorry... what now? Is "C# is sloooowww" the new meme to use against .NET now that you can't throw around conspiracies about Microsoft anymore? First off define slow, second off if it's JITing vs AoT you're worried about you'll be glad to hear about this thing called .NET Native, and to know that Xamarin.iOS has been compiled to native for years. Third... Benchmarks or GTFO, oh wait... That's impossible because RyuJIT isn't in an actual Release state yet as opposed to preview state which we should all know by now isn't representative of release states, not to mention that the rest of the Microsoft opensource .NET stack is far from finished.

Finally UE4 dropped UnrealScript, so what exactly would you be intending to write games in UE4 in?

Comment

I think it's intellectually honest to admit there's groups inside MS that are OSS-friendly that are currently let some leash but the company as a whole is not. It's not necessarily a contradiction that this software project is not evil even though MS is (to the extent being a capitalistic company mercilessly using anything not strictly illegal you can to increase your profits is evil)

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                Um... I'm sorry... what now? Is "C# is sloooowww" the new meme to use against .NET now that you can't throw around conspiracies about Microsoft anymore? First off define slow, second off if it's JITing vs AoT you're worried about you'll be glad to hear about this thing called .NET Native, and to know that Xamarin.iOS has been compiled to native for years. Third... Benchmarks or GTFO, oh wait... That's impossible because RyuJIT isn't in an actual Release state yet as opposed to preview state which we should all know by now isn't representative of release states, not to mention that the rest of the Microsoft opensource .NET stack is far from finished.

Finally UE4 dropped UnrealScript, so what exactly would you be intending to write games in UE4 in?

I only have UE4 since last week on Ubuntu and all I've seen so far is C++. What I mean is that the're lots of c++ projects which you can simply open in VS on Windows but is a lot of work to open
                for ex. in Qtcreator on Linux.
                There are reasons for c++ over c#. Are there even c# UE4 projects? Haven't seen any so far.

Comment

Originally posted by mike4 View Post
                  I only have UE4 since last week on Ubuntu and all I've seen so far is C++. What I mean is that the're lots of c++ projects which you can simply open in VS on Windows but is a lot of work to open
                  for ex. in Qtcreator on Linux.
                  There are reasons for c++ over c#. Are there even c# UE4 projects? Haven't seen any so far.
                  You do I hope realize the difference between the engine and a game written in the engine yes? Unity and Unreal both are written in C++ but use C# as their scripting language. Prior to UE4 you had access to both UnrealScript and C# as options for scripting the engine but now it's done in C#. Cryengine by comparison uses Lua for the purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                    You do I hope realize the difference between the engine and a game written in the engine yes? Unity and Unreal both are written in C++ but use C# as their scripting language. Prior to UE4 you had access to both UnrealScript and C# as options for scripting the engine but now it's done in C#. Cryengine by comparison uses Lua for the purpose.
                    Again, I only see C++ not only for the engine but for projects. You seem to confound that to Unity? That's also one, among many others, of the reasons why I prefer Unreal over Unity. Lots of Unity games in c# do not perform well, as users point out again and again.

Comment

provides an XML schema
                      Kill it! Kill it with fire!

Comment

Working...
                      X