Microsoft Contributes Windows On ARM64 "aarch64-w64-mingw32" Support To GCC 15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

If everyone uses clang anyway, what's stopping Microsoft from also using clang? I think clang is also superior.
    Originally posted by edxposed View Post

When Microsoft has invested hundreds of millions of dollars in MSVC, simply abandoning it is not a realistic option. Making clang the only supported compiler on Windows is also not a good direction to go.​​

More than just that. Most known projects only build against MSVC. OBS only builds against MSVC. Libreoffice only builds against MSVC. OpenSSL only builds against MSVC. And so on and so forth.

That's the biggest strength of the Windows development stack. No disparity in development tools, libraries and headers. All Windows developers will use Visual Studio and the various standardised Windows SDKs. Version X of the Windows 11 SDK installed on my computer is built identically to Version X of the Windows SDK installed on my friend's computer. Everything is built against Window SDKs, with each SDK being backwards compatible with the previous version. A program built against the latest Windows 11 SDK today will still run on Windows 7 and Windows 8.

Completely different from the mess in Linux where OpenSSL 3.0 in Debian can be built with totally different options from, say, OpenSSL 3.0 in Fedora. Or how an application built against glibc 2.39 in Fedora cannot be used in Debian running glibc 2.36.

Comment

XE can't compete with the competition, whether it's M4 or Zen5 or ARL. There's no performance advantage, no price/performance advantage, and compatibility is hopeless. OEMs were extremely disappointed and the performance was not what was initially advertised.
      Source?

Comment

Originally posted by dlq84 View Post

Source?

You can also compare the original X Elite PPT with X Plus PPT. they are just cheating as much as they can by statistical means. at the Elite X launch, the X Elite testing was done on Linux, while the competitor's testing was done on Windows. Months have passed since the launch and consumers are still unable to purchase the products in question, so if X Elite is really on par with Apple, why are they trying to do all these dirty tricks?

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

More than just that. Most known projects only build against MSVC. OBS only builds against MSVC. Libreoffice only builds against MSVC. OpenSSL only builds against MSVC. And so on and so forth.

That's the biggest strength of the Windows development stack. No disparity in development tools, libraries and headers. All Windows developers will use Visual Studio and the various standardised Windows SDKs. Version X of the Windows 11 SDK installed on my computer is built identically to Version X of the Windows SDK installed on my friend's computer. Everything is built against Window SDKs, with each SDK being backwards compatible with the previous version. A program built against the latest Windows 11 SDK today will still run on Windows 7 and Windows 8.

Completely different from the mess in Linux where OpenSSL 3.0 in Debian can be built with totally different options from, say, OpenSSL 3.0 in Fedora. Or how an application built against glibc 2.39 in Fedora cannot be used in Debian running glibc 2.36.
          Most things that can be built with MSVC can be built with clang-cl, such as OpenSSL, it's just that CI/CD doesn't fully cover Windows Clang. Clang generates code that matches the MSVC ABI exactly and supports more fancy things like GAS.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
            You know what this means right?

NVIDIA's ARM based desktop CPU is almost here.

There have been rumors that MS was going to have an ARM build of Windows ready for the launch of NVIDIA's CPU's, and with these contributions to the open source compilers, MS is making sure that popular open source applications like Audacity, Shotcut, AviDemux, Handbrake, ffmpeg, Libre Office and others, can be built to run on this new Windows and new processors.

I can not wait, we may be only a couple of years away from the deprecation of the x86 ISA.
            Nah. On the Windows / Linux side, it's Nuvia through Qualcomm that is moving things forward. The first laptop with their new SOC makes its debut in only 12 days.

Comment

I think the reason behind this is simply because Microsoft use git for source control which itself uses MSYS2 and GCC on windows rather than MSVC. They probably want git to work on the ARM Windows port.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                Seriously, why Microsoft still has this exclusivity agreement with Qualcomm when Qualcomm simply just can't get the job done to MS's expectations is boggling.
                The exclusivity agreement was a prerequisite for Qualcomm giving two sh*ts about Windows on ARM at all.

Comment

so git for windows in arm will finally work

Comment

Originally posted by Vaporeon View Post
                    I think the reason behind this is simply because Microsoft use git for source control which itself uses MSYS2 and GCC on windows rather than MSVC. They probably want git to work on the ARM Windows port.
                    git has long supported msvc and clang.

Comment

git has long supported msvc and clang.
                      last time i tried it was installing x64 git https://github.com/git-for-windows/git/issues/3107 , winget download lot of amd64 package which has arm port

Comment

Working...
                      X