KDAB Working On Embedding Servo Web Engine Within Qt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by anda_skoa View Post
    Comparison of UI technologies can also be done without mixing other things into the evalutaion.

If one were to compare QtQuick and QtWidgets one would either create the QtQuick object tree in C++ or create the QtWidget tree through QML.
    That's exactly how not to do it. If you actually want to compare UI technologies you'd have to compare a QML / QtQuick application with a C++ QWidget application - not two mixes of each other.

Comment

Originally posted by lowflyer View Post
      That's exactly how not to do it.
      Of course it is.
      For any comparison you want to rule out any other contributing factors as much as possible, so anything that can be done with the same means will be done with the same means.

Originally posted by lowflyer View Post
      If you actually want to compare UI technologies you'd have to compare a QML / QtQuick application with a C++ QWidget application - not two mixes of each other.
      I am not suggesting a mix of QtQuick and QtWidgets, but testing both with the same underlying stack.
      Same OS, same compiler, same Qt version, same test data, same application setup.

Otherwise you won't know which of the different outside the UI technologies has contributed to any difference in measurement.

Comment

Of course it is.
        For any comparison you want to rule out any other contributing factors as much as possible, so anything that can be done with the same means will be done with the same means.
        I'm not sure whether we talk the same language here. If you remove *every* *other* *factor* and only compare the same things - you'll never see any difference. You just ruled out the factors that make a difference.

I am not suggesting a mix of QtQuick and QtWidgets, but testing both with the same underlying stack.
        Same OS, same compiler, same Qt version, same test data, same application setup.

Otherwise you won't know which of the different outside the UI technologies has contributed to any difference in measurement.
        If you are to compare a bulldozer with a Porsche and you only look at the choice of metals, the number of seats, the number of pistons and the power rating of the engine, you'll end up with the conclusion that "both are practically similar". Good luck at digging a trench with your Porsche!

Compare different UI technologies - not: "the same technologies". Cut out everything of QtQuick and QML from the QtWidgets application and - vice versa - everything QtWidgets from the QML application. Don't burden one side with the work of the other side.​

I can agree with:
        • Same OS
        • Same compiler
        • Same Qt version
        • Same test data
        I cannot agree with:
        • Same underlying stack
        I would add:
        • Same functionality
        • Same look
        • Don't "cross use" the different technologies

Comment