Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenJDK Java 22 Rolls Into GA With New Features

Phoronix: OpenJDK Java 22 Rolls Into GA With New Features

Oracle has announced the general availability of OpenJDK Java 22...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I’m a little unclear on modern Java. Why is it the JDK is rapidly developing through versions but JRE remains at v8. Is the JRE versioning just a compatibility thing and it can run code from the latest JDK?

Comment

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post
      I’m a little unclear on modern Java. Why is it the JDK is rapidly developing through versions but JRE remains at v8. Is the JRE versioning just a compatibility thing and it can run code from the latest JDK?
      JRE is completely obsolete and outdated. JRE is not the only runtime for Java. Oracle creates at least three official runtime platforms for modern Java:JRE is now also licensed and can not be freely distributed. It is really a relic of the past, for all the slow businesses that has not upgraded to modern Java yet.
      Oracle deliberately makes OpenJDK look like crap, but it is just as good as the Java JDK platform. It is just does not have LTS support like Java JDK.

Comment

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post
        Obligatory https://whichjdk.com/

Comment

I think I would rather use .NET instead of Java.

Comment

If I use anything other than version 8 of either open source or Oracle Java, on Linux or Windows, everything Java related breaks. So I have no idea what the later versions are for. They don't work for anything I've ever tried.

Comment

Originally posted by muncrief View Post
              If I use anything other than version 8 of either open source or Oracle Java, on Linux or Windows, everything Java related breaks. So I have no idea what the later versions are for. They don't work for anything I've ever tried.
              Works great for everything I am using. You should be reporting bugs for anything that breaks and linking them here so we have more specific information.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                I think I would rather use .NET instead of Java.
                this is a bit pick your poison. In grant principle both are similar.

.NET languages are generally more modern and are more feature rich. Like concurency, async on .NET is excellent and probably the best concurency from all platforms everywhere nad the most matured one. NET core lacks some features on linux. .NET core versioning also have way shorter lifetime. For example .NET 8 released november 14, 2023, EOL is november 10 2026. And NET8 is LTS release.

Java 21 was released 19th of September 2023. End of support is for openjdk is 2029 but if you buy extended support from oracle it you will get updates all the way to 2031. Java is slower to get features, but feature parities between platforms are more inline.

Comment

Originally posted by endrebjorsvik View Post
                  JRE is completely obsolete and outdated. JRE is not the only runtime for Java.
                  JRE vs JDK has nothing to do regarding licensing or Oracle: JDK = JRE + Development Tool

Originally posted by piotrj3
                  Like concurency, async on .NET is excellent and probably the best concurency from all platforms everywhere
                  How many concurrency concepts provided by which platforms did you evaluate, to come to such a bold conclusion?

Comment

Originally posted by piotrj3 View Post

this is a bit pick your poison. In grant principle both are similar.

.NET languages are generally more modern and are more feature rich. Like concurency, async on .NET is excellent and probably the best concurency from all platforms everywhere nad the most matured one. NET core lacks some features on linux. .NET core versioning also have way shorter lifetime. For example .NET 8 released november 14, 2023, EOL is november 10 2026. And NET8 is LTS release.

Java 21 was released 19th of September 2023. End of support is for openjdk is 2029 but if you buy extended support from oracle it you will get updates all the way to 2031. Java is slower to get features, but feature parities between platforms are more inline.
                    I think .NET on Linux have all the stuff that .NET on Windows does, but not the stuff from .NET Framework 4.8. So .NET on Linux basically got all of stuff except Windows Forms, Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF), WinUI and MAUI. So basically the whole .NET runtime and .NET standard library is available on Linux, but not some of the NuGet packages which are not part of the standard library.

I also think .NET have a prettier and easier and more well-designed API than Java for things like files and collections. .NET also have some nice language features like properties, file-scoped namespaces, nullable reference types, implicit usings, global usings, etc. I am not sure Java have any of that, maybe it does these days.

Comment

Working...
                    X