No announcement yet.

Cloudflare Makes Pingora Rust Framework Open-Source

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oh, god that syntax, every time i read rust code i wanna cut myself. If they fixed that damn syntax it will improve adoption by a lot. Jesus is like the retarded kid of cobol and typescript try to write C++ templates with crayons.

Comment

Will be very interesting when someone makes a nginx competitor with this.

Comment

Originally posted by spicfoo View Post

You gave zero evidence. Find me a direct quote from Google or point specifically in the repo to the mythical fallback for 1.5 million lines of code. Google says there are 1.5 millions lines and 21% of all new code in Android using Rust. So are they lying or are you?
        From your own link, the exact phrasing is

In Android 13, about 21% of all new native code (C/C++/Rust) is in Rust. There are approximately 1.5 million total lines of Rust code in AOSP across new functionality and components such as Keystore2, the new Ultra-wideband (UWB) stack, DNS-over-HTTP3, Android’s Virtualization framework (AVF), and various other components and their open source dependencies. These are low-level components that require a systems language which otherwise would have been implemented in C++.
        "1.5 million total lines of Rust code" is as straightforward as it gets. This is clearly an independent statement from "21% of new code" - and they're in separate sentences no less.
        Last edited by dralley; 28 February 2024, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dralley View Post

From your own link
          What's your point? The quote says this is net new code that otherwise would have been written in C++ and now is written in Rust. It says nothing about any fallbacks or that it is only tests as claimed. According to kpedersen n this is all somehow optional code and Android does not depend on Rust. Google clearly says otherwise. So is Google lying?
          Last edited by spicfoo; 28 February 2024, 05:28 PM.

Comment

I may have misinterpreted your argument, sorry.

I agree that kpedersen is wrong.

Comment

I am going to post this in the threads that relate to the articles about Rust use because it is relevant,

The White House is urging developers to stop using C and C++ and instead use Rust:

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post

But it is neither tiny, nor doing simple tasks. Well, the task itself is not hard, but details matter and it needs to be very fast and memory efficient.
                The problem is it's doing simple task. Till there's no PostgreSQL equivalent we won't see how Rust really compares to C.

Comment

Originally posted by dralley View Post
                  I may have misinterpreted your argument, sorry.

I agree that kpedersen is wrong.
                  No worries. Yes, of course he is wrong and he knows it.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

I knew somebody will mention this, but it's just a proxy. Nothing more.
                    Well thats a no true scotsman fallacy if I ever saw one.

Your not fooling anyone, just admit that no matter what software is written in Rust you will find some poor man's excuse to put it down.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

The problem is it's doing simple task. Till there's no PostgreSQL equivalent we won't see how Rust really compares to C.
                      Exactly equivalent is not there because developing mature database scale PostgreSQL is process taking many years and if you include age of Rust it is simply impossible to have that level of maturity in project of that scale.

SurrealDB is however almost that level and it is already almost production grade (well it is stable for a while already) and is extremely rich in features..

Comment

Working...
                      X