Cloudflare Makes Pingora Rust Framework Open-Source

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
    One step closer to nuking nginx from my friends systems, that cursed configuration will be the death of me or it.
    Since cloudflare used both nginx and OpenRESTY (so nginx + lua), and built it to replace those, you can expect its configuration to be very similar to them.
    No easy way out for you.

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post

Android is large enough project for you? It was 1.5M Rust code in 2022 already.
      Nah. According to @kpedersen​ Google doesn't know what it is talking about. He is of belief without any evidence that is all optional code somehow. Also apparently Microsoft doesn't know what they are talking about when it comes to Windows kernel and core libraries. For some people languages are just tools. I will write C++ or Rust or Python or Go or Bash depending on the task. For others, this is a religion. It is C or C++ or die.

Comment

It's amazing to me how Rust seems to be suddenly gaining so much traction.

Brown University has an Intro to Comp Sci using Rust class, Northwestern, Duke, pretty much every major university i checked has Rust programming classes.

When i was working on my Comp Sci degree years ago, the main core classes were all taught in C++ and iirc just 2 years prior to me starting the program they were still featuring Pascal as the main programming language. They used Borland Pascal and switched to Borland C++.

For the Engineering majors they had FORTRAN.

They did have Visual Basic, Visual C, and Java but those classes were part of the IT degree program, not the Comp Sci degree,

When i went back a couple of years ago they had added a bunch of Python classes, including Python For Scientists, that was mandatory for Chem majors.

It's kind of odd to see Rust gaining such wide spread use, considering that C and FORTRAN have had a strangle hold on general purpose and scientific programming respectively for 50+ years and COBOL is still used for IBM main frames.

That Rust would be the language to challenge C's dominance, who would have thunk it?

Comment

Originally posted by spicfoo View Post
          Google doesn't know what it is talking about.
          'course it does. Which is why I pointed you towards the specific ASOP repo as evidence earlier. You have seen that Rust is only used in minor places, such as tests or in places where a C or C++ fallback was put in place.

Also apparently Microsoft doesn't know what they are talking about when it comes to Windows
          Indeed. Microsoft have been flapping about with no direction since the cppwinrt API. The only API that matters is the Win32 API. The rest are basically failed projects. The Rust "projection" will be no different. Why do you think it would it be when the other 6 attempts have failed? Pick up a history book

I will write C++ or Rust or Python or Go or Bash depending on the task. For others, this is a religion.
          C++, Rust and Go? I suspect that your solutions are currently a bit of a mess because you haven't found your footing yet. Most companies stick to a homogenous systems level programming language for a reason. Once you hit the industry, I am sure you will find yourself needing to specialize.

It is C or C++ or die.
          Nope. Just C. Being able to interop with C directly is the core importance of C++ and ultimately the reason why the industry has standardized on it.​ This is also the reason why Rust is a hype timebomb unless a C frontend ultimately gets bolted on.
          Last edited by kpedersen; 28 February 2024, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Rust's dominance is by design. During the 2010s, security vulnerabilities and software stability was such a major issue that static code analysis tools were in high demand. Yet there is only so much that you can do when C/C++ lack the necessary syntax for a complete analysis.​ Hence Rust was designed with static code analysis as a core feature of the language, with the necessary syntax to make a complete analysis viable. It cannot be underestimated how powerful it is to have lifetime annotations, aliasing XOR mutability, and ownership as core features of a systems language.
            Last edited by mmstick; 28 February 2024, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

'course it does. Which is why I pointed you towards the repo as evidence that Rust is only used as tests or in places where a C or C++ fallback was possible.
              You gave zero evidence. Find me a direct quote from Google or point specifically in the repo to the mythical fallback for 1.5 million lines of code. Google says there are 1.5 millions lines and 21% of all new code in Android using Rust. So are they lying or are you?

Indeed. Microsoft have been flapping about with no direction
              Is that why you pretended that Windows kernel and core libraries don't use Rust? You even pretended that there was a quote in the article. Where is it?

C++, Rust and Go? I bet your solutions are a mess. Most companies stick to a homogenous systems level programming language for a reason. Once you hit the industry, I am sure you will (need to) specialize.
              You forgot Python and Bash in my list and I never said I write them all in one solution silly. I have been in the industry for 30 years bud. Nobody uses just one language. Google uses Go, Rust, C++ and Python for example. Apparently you think they are a mess. Lol.

Comment

For some people languages are just tools. I will write C++ or Rust or Python or Go or Bash depending on the task. For others, this is a religion. It is C or C++ or die.
                *nod* ...though, for me, "I don't ever want to have to maintain more than one version of this" is a strong incentive to write as much as possible in Rust and then expose it via PyO3 (Python), WebAssembly (client-side JS or Node.js) or napi-rs (Node.js), a little CLI utility (shared-hosting PHP among other things), etc.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

*nod* ...though, for me, "I don't ever want to have to maintain more than one version of this" is a strong incentive to write as much as possible in Rust and then expose it via PyO3 (Python), WebAssembly (client-side JS or Node.js) or napi-rs (Node.js), a little CLI utility (shared-hosting PHP among other things), etc.
                  Yeah if I was doing it personally, I would consolidate based on some preferences but I do routinely consult for different organizations, so if they know and are familiar with Go for example, that's the one I am going with. In other cases there are external constraints, dependencies or support requirements. AWS recently introduced Rust support for a lot of their services but before that, I wouldn't have bothered with community libraries.

Comment

No one can stop what's coming.

There's also going to be much less security patching, so I'll take it.

Comment

Rust, sure. Unsafe rust? Probably.

Comment

Working...
                      X