Git 2.44 Released - Can Yield Faster Pack Generation & Faster Rebases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kjell ptr1337
    Ironically, SmartGit has a testimonial section and near the bottom of it are testimonials from Kjell and Peter.

Life has a lot of funny coincidences like that.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
      Kjell ptr1337
      Ironically, SmartGit has a testimonial section and near the bottom of it are testimonials from Kjell and Peter.

Life has a lot of funny coincidences like that.
      The simulation is running out of entropy.. Pete this is the sign you've been waiting for! Change to AMDGPU ptr1337

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        It is always great that something gets faster, but I've never noticed that it was slow.
        Great for the smart nerds, but what about less intelligent people like me who struggle with Git?

Git is so difficult to use, it is so complicated and difficult to understand. I often find myself having to delete the repository from disk and clone the repository again.

They need to make Git more user-friendly and easy to understand and accessible to less intelligent people.
        You literally post the same shit in every thread about git. Some things aren't for you, ever thought about it? Get over it already.

It's ok, some people can't understand control flow either. Find a different job or hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
          You literally post the same shit in every thread about git. Some things aren't for you, ever thought about it? Get over it already.

It's ok, some people can't understand control flow either. Find a different job or hobby.
          No, I like coding, and it's fun and I am reasonably good at it, and I like my work and have nice coworkers. But I am forced to use Git at work, and to be able to participate in the open source community and on GitHub.

Coding is fun and great, but Git is troublesome.

Comment

Coding is fun and great, but Git is troublesome.
            Maybe your employer can sponsor you a git training?

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post

Maybe your employer can sponsor you a git training?
              Maybe, because they need it too, they don't understand it either.

I do a git pull and git fetch or whatever and I get a merge conflict because someone edited line 10 and I edited line 90. It is stupid. Okay if we both edited the same line, then sure we got a merge conflict, but this is silly.

I try get a git pull or git fetch or whatever and Git says no you cant do that, you must configure fast forward or merge or rebase or something, I don't know. Why Git asking me this stupid questions? I don't know the difference and I don't want to pick anything, and I don't care, just give me some sane defaults.

Comment

I try get a git pull or git fetch or whatever and Git says no you cant do that, you must configure fast forward or merge or rebase or something, I don't know. Why Git asking me this stupid questions? I don't know the difference and I don't want to pick anything, and I don't care, just give me some sane defaults.
                The defaults are sane if you use git like God™️ intended to. Each developer should have their own branches and only said developer should push changes to those branches. Once a feature/fix is done and reviewed, its branch is merged into the master.

Now, if someone pushes to the master branch after you branched, but before your changes have been merged in, all you got to do is run `git pull` on master (no funny rebases happening) and then run `git rebase master` on your branch.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post

Sometimes you behave like a civilized forum member. I agree with you.

Despite Git needs many usability Improvements, I smell lots of trolling too.

Comment

I do a git pull and git fetch or whatever and I get a merge conflict because someone edited line 10 and I edited line 90. It is stupid. Okay if we both edited the same line, then sure we got a merge conflict, but this is silly.

I take the part of code I am actively editing outside the git repo. When I am done with the changes, I do a git pull in the repo to get the latest revision and do patch of my diff on the revision I have been working on. Sometimes this needs a bit manual intervention. Then test and submit. Diff and patch utilities are very useful with git. Hope this helps

Comment

Because git doesn't know programming languages. It doesn't know if the changes in lines 10 or 90 are related or will break each other. All it knows is that two different changes have occurred on the same file. You have to push commit 10 to main, rebase the branch of commit 90, and then push commit 90 to main now that it knows about commit 10.

EDIT: To say that in a different way now that I've woke up and had some coffee, the way Git operates is by tracking the history of everything. Each commit is like adding a letter to the tracking alphabet so four commits would be A, B, C, and D. When you and someone else do work on the same file, Git doesn't know which commit, line 10 or line 90, should be E and which one should be F. It doesn't know how the two commits should be ordered for historical reasons nor does it know if you're reverting one commit or the other since the line 10 commit has the old line 90 and the line 90 commit has the old line 10. That old data is what is tripping everything up.

Pull 10
                      Rebase 90 with main
                      Pull 90

I hope that makes Git and issues like that make a bit more sense. You can freely swap 90 and 10 up there.

Pull 90
                      Rebase 10 with main
                      Pull 10​
                      Last edited by skeevy420; 25 February 2024, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X