Git 2.44 Released - Can Yield Faster Pack Generation & Faster Rebases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Git 2.44 Released - Can Yield Faster Pack Generation & Faster Rebases

Phoronix: Git 2.44 Released - Can Yield Faster Pack Generation & Faster Rebases

Git maintainer Junio Hamano on Friday released Git 2.44 as the newest update to this leading open-source distributed revision control system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Faster rebases are very welcome. It sometimes takes a long time on big repositories.

Comment

Originally posted by Lycanthropist View Post
      Faster rebases are very welcome. It sometimes takes a long time on big repositories.
      Now the only problem is gitkraken. Uses over 128 gigabytes of RAM when browsing Linux git.

Comment

It is always great that something gets faster, but I've never noticed that it was slow.
        Great for the smart nerds, but what about less intelligent people like me who struggle with Git?

Git is so difficult to use, it is so complicated and difficult to understand. I often find myself having to delete the repository from disk and clone the repository again.

They need to make Git more user-friendly and easy to understand and accessible to less intelligent people.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

Now the only problem is gitkraken. Uses over 128 gigabytes of RAM when browsing Linux git.
          Is there any good alternative to Gitkraken? I found Github Desktop to be underwhelming (feature wise)

Comment

Originally posted by Kjell View Post

Is there any good alternative to Gitkraken? I found Github Desktop to be underwhelming (feature wise)
            SmartGit is pretty good. You get a free license, if you link your github and if they see you have 200 commits per year.
            I use it since 2 years and im quite happy with it. The workflow gets faster.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              It is always great that something gets faster, but I've never noticed that it was slow.
              Great for the smart nerds, but what about less intelligent people like me who struggle with Git?

Git is so difficult to use, it is so complicated and difficult to understand. I often find myself having to delete the repository from disk and clone the repository again.

They need to make Git more user-friendly and easy to understand and accessible to less intelligent people.
              Learn to do your own changes in your own branches and remember that "git reset --hard $commit_hash" is your best friend. I used to do the delete and clone thing until I started forcing myself to create my own branches instead of working directly on upstream branches. Working on your own branches makes git a lot easier to use and makes it so much easier to fix things if/when it goes wrong.

Seriously, get in the habit of doing one branch per feature. Once you get your feature panned out, then you can squash all you individual commits together and send a merge request to the main branch, upstream, rebase branch to main, etc. The majority of all my git problems came from not knowing how to properly utilize branches and not treating them as temporary test beds.

IMHO, it's not that git is difficult to use, it's that the majority of us are self-taught on how to use git so we don't use it as efficiently as we should. I know that's the case for me. On that note, does anyone here know of a good Git tutorial?

Comment

Originally posted by ptr1337 View Post

SmartGit is pretty good. You get a free license, if you link your github and if they see you have 200 commits per year.
                I avoid closed source software

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

You can keep commenting that on every article or you can finally due your due diligence and suggest it to the actual developers and maintainers.

Comment

Originally posted by ptr1337 View Post

Using a client for Git is like using a desktop on a server.

Comment

Working...
                    X