Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iced Toolkit For Rust GUIs Reaches v0.12 With New Features

Phoronix: Iced Toolkit For Rust GUIs Reaches v0.12 With New Features

Iced is the Rust GUI library that's been gaining quite a lot of interest by Rust developers for creating cross-platform user interfaces. Iced is also what's being used by the Pop!_OS COSMIC desktop environment. Iced v0.12 released yesterday as the first new release for this GUI toolkit since last July...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Writing Pop!_OS on keyboard requires artificial intelligence.

Comment

It would be really nice if they defined what exactly cross-platform means. Does it run on OS X and Windows ? How about Android and iOS ?

Comment

Originally posted by mcirsta View Post
        It would be really nice if they defined what exactly cross-platform means. Does it run on OS X and Windows ? How about Android and iOS ?
        Yeah, that info is nearly impossible to get: https://docs.rs/iced/latest/iced/

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Yeah, that info is nearly impossible to get: https://docs.rs/iced/latest/iced/
          Thanks, it just didn't occur to me to go there as I'm not a Rust guy. I was expecting something on their main page.

Comment

Thanks, it just didn't occur to me to go there as I'm not a Rust guy. I was expecting something on their main page.
            There is something on their main page, but it leads to a manual that's full of TODOs atm.
            It's possible they will target Android also at some point. iOS, not a chance, that thing forbids everything not written in Objective C or Swift.

Comment

I sincerely hope the toolkit succeeds, but imho the UI elements' styling looks absolutely hideous.

Comment

It is reachable through Api Reference -> Latest release or Development branch....but I agree it is a bit hidden. Sadly this is a trend with these "trendy" projects. Some of them ( not Rust related ) have homepages full of buzzwords, but at the end you cannot even understand what the hell they do!!

Comment

Their main page is on github. That page Michael linked to is pointless, just a couple of links to discord and discourse that could have easily been added to their github page.

This project looks sketchy to me. It appears the main point isn't to write it in rust, but to put another GUI library under a permissive non-copyleft license. Using a currently popular language like rust is probably just a way of getting more devs to contribute their time into a project that intends to be monetized by corporations with little to no incentive to contribute back code (or money, of course, haha).

Comment

Originally posted by kon14 View Post
                    I sincerely hope the toolkit succeeds, but imho the UI elements' styling looks absolutely hideous.
                    Its purpose is not to provide a ready made style. The developer creates custom widgets with custom styling. This is a low level GUI library.

Comment

Working...
                    X