Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GCC 14 Lands Working Support For AMD RDNA2 & RDNA3 GPU Offloading

Phoronix: GCC 14 Lands Working Support For AMD RDNA2 & RDNA3 GPU Offloading

As a follow-up to last week's article around the GCC compiler seeing patches for AMD RDNA3 GPU support so that it's "working for most purposes", that code has now been merged and it's also been confirmed to also bring the RDNA2 support up to a working state...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is exciting stuff. Need to see how much work is it for a regular user to make use of it but it could be that this is the most straightforward way to make use of GPUs.

Comment

Originally posted by pegasus View Post
      This is exciting stuff. Need to see how much work is it for a regular user to make use of it but it could be that this is the most straightforward way to make use of GPUs.
      Especially integrated GPUs. They might be underwhelming for gaming but that's really just because of memory bandwidth; GCC doesn't demand as much bandwidth, so I wouldn't be surprised if in some cases, even low-end GPUs could make up for a couple CPU cores.

Comment

Oh, I would love to see AMD fix and complete the LLVM backend for old and mainstream chipsets, and finally have OpenCL out of the box for these cards. I mean radeonsi works sometime for some chips, and ROCm for others, but all in all only a few specific chips are supported... when it comes to consumer cards. If you are unlucky enough, like me, radeonsi claims OpenCL support for a chip, and then crashes with some stupid error when trying to use it. I guess workstation cards get some real support from ROCm

Comment

Working...
        X