Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Python 3.13 Alpha 3 Released - Work Continues On Dropping The GIL, Improving Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Python 3.13 Alpha 3 Released - Work Continues On Dropping The GIL, Improving Performance

Phoronix: Python 3.13 Alpha 3 Released - Work Continues On Dropping The GIL, Improving Performance

The third alpha release of Python 3.13 is now available for testing as the developers continue work on removing the Global Interpreter Lock (GIL) and enhancing the overall performance of this scripting language...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

My wishes for Python would be:
    • Replace the vanity Python Software Foundation License with a normal open source license.
    • Add support for top-level awaits and a default async executor to make it easier to use async.
    • Add a async HTTP client to the standard library. urllib sucks, and we shouldn't have to rely on third-party packages such as requests and httpx for something as common as HTTP requests.
    • Add to the standard library a way to deserialize JSON into classes.
    • Fix the typing hell; typing is a mess and inconsistently used and I don't even think the standard library is typed.
    • Add some better isolation/sandboxing. The -I parameter is not nearly enough. Make it possible to use the exec() and eval() functions in a more safer way.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Something like this?
      I want to convert JSON data into a Python object. I receive JSON data objects from the Facebook API, which I want to store in my database. My current View in Django (Python) (request.POST contains ...

Comment

Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post

Something like this?
        I want to convert JSON data into a Python object. I receive JSON data objects from the Facebook API, which I want to store in my database. My current View in Django (Python) (request.POST contains ...
        Something like that. The SimpleNamespace​ solution is kind of nice because it lets you use dot syntax instead of bracket syntax, but what I had in mind was to declare a Python class with the attributes for the JSON object declared in the class so that you can get autocompletion from the IDE and type hint the properties.
        I know there is a third-party Python package on PyPI that does that but it would be really nice to be able to it with the standard library.

I think the Python standard library needs to get better at HTTP and JSON which are very popular among developers but which support and developer experience is weak, inconvenient and cumbersome in Python.

Comment

One more: make pickle to serialize lamdas instead of adding dill as dependency and monkey patching for multiprocessing

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            My wishes for Python would be:
            • Replace the vanity Python Software Foundation License with a normal open source license.
            • Add support for top-level awaits and a default async executor to make it easier to use async.
            • Add a async HTTP client to the standard library. urllib sucks, and we shouldn't have to rely on third-party packages such as requests and httpx for something as common as HTTP requests.
            • Fix the typing hell; typing is a mess and inconsistently used and I don't even think the standard library is typed.
            • Add some better isolation/sandboxing. The -I parameter is not nearly enough. Make it possible to use the exec() and eval() functions in a more safer way.
            i like the way that stock python used to be complete, but I've come to terms with that's really untenable due to release cycles and picking winners where there really isn't consensus. The one thing I'd really like to see is some sort of venv in a bundle file, to have some sort of all in single binary capability like other languages have.

Comment

What's the point of extensive work on speeding up crap that was never meant to be fast ?

Python is not even computer language FFS.
              No computer ever has actually executed Python code.
              Instead it gets delivered to the cores as a series of one--line jokes on beer coasters that they read in local pub, while daring each other, trying to guess the next joke and laughing maniacally.

PC term for this is that Python is an "interpreted language".

Comment

Originally posted by Brane215 View Post
                What's the point of extensive work on speeding up crap that was never meant to be fast ?

Python is not even computer language FFS.
                No computer ever has actually executed Python code.
                Instead it gets delivered to the cores as a series of one--line jokes on beer coasters that they read in local pub, while daring each other, trying to guess the next joke and laughing maniacally.

PC term for this is that Python is an "interpreted language".
                It turns out that many many people liked said crap and these people would benefit if it were faster...

Comment

Working...
                X