Clear All

Originally posted by bachchain View Post
    Who would've guessed that successful things tend to become popular
    Yeah like CUDA, eh?

Works both ways buffoons.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
      And here is a really interesting, yet little talked about aspect:

This is how I think Rust will displace C in a decade or two: there will simply be no more programmers that will spend the time needed to learn C, when they can do 99% the same things in Rust.
      Dark days ahead of new breed of bad "programmers" unfortunately.

Comment

Not really. There was something merged that will compile Rust... but it doesn't have a borrow checked. Thus, it will happily compile things that rustc would reject.
        No, I mean to the rustc repository. Not talking about gccrs

Comment

Not really. There was something merged that will compile Rust... but it doesn't have a borrow checked. Thus, it will happily compile things that rustc would reject.
          Does not matter. You have the checks from rustc and every commit will be compiled by the CI with rustc. GCC is used to reach all that platforms not supported by LLVM.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
            Yeah, TDD sucks. We've seen with the latest Intels graphics patch how good all programmers are.
            Why have seat belts, stability control or even doors?
            We're all 100% pros here, every day, every minute, in every situation.
            Yeah, talk like a true buffoon to me, you know you want to.

Oh, wait, I have another new word for you: hubris.
            Last edited by reba; 13 January 2024, 03:42 PM.

Comment

@Michael: in addition to the "Like" button, can we please have an "Unlike" (or don't like, or disagree) button for others' comments? This isn't Facebook.

Personally, if the kernel is going to get infected with another language, I'd strongly prefer Rust over C++. Without reading 100% of the code, you just can't read a page of C++ code and be absolutely sure what it means. Not so with Rust, and that's important for kernels.

Comment

Yes, today's programmers are infallible. That's why we don't have any segmentation failures or security issues.

Comment

Bad programmers outnumber good ones 10:1, easily. What you have them use: C or Rust?

C comes from an era when the compiler (and CPUs) could only do so much. Today, they can do much more, including offering crutches for some of the more dangerous pitfalls. Of course, Rust has still to prove itself in some ways. But wherever it has been tried so far, it has done so pretty well. So, without taking anything away from C, why do you think it's a good idea to dismiss Rust?

Comment

I once attempted to multithread the SDL rendering of Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead. It's forbidden to add such a feature because everybody hates to maintain a multithreaded C++ codebase but goddamnit I want to zoom-out the screen on my 6 year old phone.

Sure was painful to do and it ended up slower than the single-threaded version because I peppered everything with mutexes - no easy way to tell if a class is thread safe or not.

If it were instead written in Rust, we'd have access to the Sync/Send traits and no one will complain about the maintenance burden because the compiler itself will help with the checking.​

Comment

Originally posted by jaypatelani View Post

That's what I thought. Choosing Ada would be better as it is supported in gcc
                      How many Ada programmers are out there? I guess a lot less than Rust programmers these days.

Comment

Working...
                      X