Autoconf 2.72 Released With C23 Support, New Year 2038 Safety Option

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
    Right. This isn't necessarily super-harmful for opensource software where you can simply rebuild everything to have 64-bit time_t but it's extremely dangerous for proprietary software.
    It's not like the developers of proprietary software have the source code and can just as easily "rebuild everything to have 64-bit time_t" like the open source developers can.

I swear, open source evangelists are something else.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

It's not like the developers of proprietary software have the source code and can just as easily "rebuild everything to have 64-bit time_t" like the open source developers can.

It's not like the actual developers of open source software could do that, either and consider it "done". NetBSD began its transition for 64 bit epoch time stamps years ago and they're still working on it, just like everyone else. "Just do X" is the arm chair <insert 'expert' here> naive response to things they've really got no clue about.

Comment

meanwhile, c++ modules are finally here, all hurdles between compiler, standardization and buildsystem taken.

some buildsystem project pivotal in the effort, used by more than 50% of C/C++ devs released v3.28 making this more or less official with a working implementation along platforms on integrations.

Comment

Originally posted by reavertm View Post
          Whoever designed entire autotools related ecosystem should burn in hell.
          And whoever intentionally uses it in new project is retarded. There I said it
          Autotools were never perfect, but we should be deeply grateful for the work that was put into them.

While few projects today need their wide portability to strange old Unices, a case can easily be made that they form the most transparent modern build system, a more straightforward design that does not hide the details of what the user is asking to be done.

Some rather less flippant and dismissive thoughts, by the author of the No Starch book on Autotools:

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

Quite commonly proprietary software (especially games) ends up living past life-span of its relevant source code. Intellectual property sold and resold and eventually no one can change anything without binary patching or reverse engineering the entire thing from scratch.

Comment

I hope GCC one day will be moved to a modern build system like CMake or Meson. I don't care which one they choose, but sticking to Autotools cannot be the future. And I have a vague understanding of how deep the dependencies of Autotools reach into building and testing of the compiler suit.

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post
                meanwhile, c++ modules are finally here, all hurdles between compiler, standardization and buildsystem taken.
                I don't expect Autotools to pick up module support soon, as Autotool-based project are not that modern. Low demand, low changes of contributions.

Comment

Originally posted by mathletic View Post

I don't expect Autotools to pick up module support soon, as Autotool-based project are not that modern. Low demand, low changes of contributions.
                  the point is, that the pretty much "de facto" modern buildsystem and movement in the whole c++ standard wont make the news.

Comment

Hello everybody,

I would like to apologize for my posts under nickname "sophisticles" and "hel88".

the thing is, I am very sick person. Schizophrenia with manic depression.
                    When I'm on my medication like now, I feel ashamed for the things that I do when not on medication.

For example, when I'm not using my therapy properly I get this crazy tendency to troll on linux forums. For that devious purpose I am using nicknames "sophisticles" and "hel88". under those nicknames I write crazy, insane things. when I am on regular therapy like now, I cannot believe the crap that I wrote under those 2 nicknames.

overall, I would like all of you to know that I don't really mean what I write under those 2 nicknames and also, I love linux, open source and gpl. and yes, microsoft sucks.​

Comment

Working...
                    X