Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cling 1.0 Released For Interactive C++ Interpreter

Phoronix: Cling 1.0 Released For Interactive C++ Interpreter

Cling 1.0 was released this week for this open-source interactive C++ interpreter that builds atop LLVM/Clang. Cling is implemented as an extension to LLVM/Clang to serve as an interpeter leveraging the read-eval-print loop (REPL) concept and relies on just-in-time (JIT) compilation...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What's the point? There's a clear separation between development and production machines. This C++ interpreter obviously needs SDK headers, making low level hacking a no-brainer in production.

Comment

Originally posted by zboszor View Post
      What's the point? There's a clear separation between development and production machines. This C++ interpreter obviously needs SDK headers, making low level hacking a no-brainer in production.
      It's homepage mention a few:
      • Learning C++
      • Creating scripts (#!/usr/bin/cling​)
      • Rapid Application Development
      • Runtime-Generated Code
      There also an example on frontpage how to create a plugin.
      So far scriptable plugins have been typically Python, Lua etc. scripts because C/C++ has not been an option. It has required to learn that another scripting language.

Comment

Pretty cool stuff

Comment

Now I can get my memory access violations in an interactive way. This is awesome!

Comment

The link in the article seems to go to a fork of the project. The official URL is https://github.com/root-project/cling , per the readme in the linked repo.

Comment

Great project. I tried to use it several times but always was unhappy with inability to redefine a function or variable. That’s what you naturally want from an interpreter: to fix an error fast. You fix a function on the fly without restarting your program. And this hadn’t worked in cling. I haven’t checked v1.0 yet I hope they managed to achieve it somehow

Comment

Originally posted by unixpoet View Post
                The link in the article seems to go to a fork of the project. The official URL is https://github.com/root-project/cling , per the readme in the linked repo.
                Well, the link in the article has a release for 1.0 a couple days ago. The link you posted hasn't had a release in 3 years. I don't know anything about the project besides what was in the article, but it sounds like the readme hasn't been updated to mention that it's the active fork

Comment

Working...
                X