Eclipse OpenJ9 v0.40 Released For Small Footprint & High Performance JVM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eclipse OpenJ9 v0.40 Released For Small Footprint & High Performance JVM

Phoronix: Eclipse OpenJ9 v0.40 Released For Small Footprint & High Performance JVM

Released last week was Eclipse OpenJ9 v0.40 as the latest feature update to this high performance JVM that focuses on being optimized for a small footprint...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So, Michael saw my previous "wth makes OpenJ9 high-performance" comment and raised me an equally unfounded "small footprint". Nice.

At first glance I was like "why tout Java 20 support when Java 21 is like a month away?", but reading through the docs, this is just a minor release.

Comment

I'm not very knowledgeable on these various implementations. So, how come this isn't what's in OpenJDK?

Comment

Originally posted by ClosedSource View Post
        I'm not very knowledgeable on these various implementations. So, how come this isn't what's in OpenJDK?
        It is helpful to understand the differences between the JIT and the JVM first. OpenJ9 priorities low memory footprint and quicker startup time. HotSpot prioritizes performance in long running tasks. The former is largely maintained by IBM and the latter is Oracle, Red Hat etc.

Comment

Java and "small foot print" can't really be used in the same sentence. "Smaller" is easier to swallow.

Comment

Originally posted by Raka555 View Post
            Java and "small foot print" can't really be used in the same sentence. "Smaller" is easier to swallow.
            You know Java apps ran on the dumb* phones? And they were much weaker than the first Android phone with 192 MB RAM, which itself is like nothing compared to modern GBs.

EDIT: *) Modern mobile OSes kill background apps, so the modern phones are actually dumb again.

Comment

Working...
            X