Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

uutils 0.0.20 Improves GNU Coreutils Compatibility For This Rust-Written Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• uutils 0.0.20 Improves GNU Coreutils Compatibility For This Rust-Written Replacement

Phoronix: uutils 0.0.20 Improves GNU Coreutils Compatibility For This Rust-Written Replacement

The uutils project continues advancing as a modern, drop-in replacement to the GNU Coreutils utilities that is written in the Rust programming language...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What I love of uutils is it's MIT license. Seriously, GPL sucks and should disappear from existence.

Comment

The non-GPL licensing makes this a disaster. Please don't contribute to this project

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
        What I love of uutils is it's MIT license. Seriously, GPL sucks and should disappear from existence.
        So you're OK with companies taking the code, making a better version and keeping it proprietary without giving anything back.

Comment

Originally posted by novideo View Post
          The non-GPL licensing makes this a disaster. Please don't contribute to this project
          This. I'm a big Rust fan and user, but the de-GPL-ization of GNU/Linux scares me.

Comment

I have no strong feelings one way or the other.

Comment

LOL immediately the first two comments are about the license

Personally I think both licenses are awesome! I

I have heard people blame FreeBSD's lack of market share on MIT licensing and I think that has really not hindered it... FreeBSD struggles historically for different reasons and today largely because its getting its lunch stolen at every corner by its Linux cousin.

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post
                LOL immediately the first two comments are about the license

Personally I think both licenses are awesome! I

I have heard people blame FreeBSD's lack of market share on MIT licensing and I think that has really not hindered it... FreeBSD struggles historically for different reasons and today largely because its getting its lunch stolen at every corner by its Linux cousin.
                You know, the FreeBSD license that would hinder its market share is in its name

Comment

Originally posted by Almindor View Post

This. I'm a big Rust fan and user, but the de-GPL-ization of GNU/Linux scares me.
                  What scares me is hardware becoming more and more like the PS4 or PS5 where you know damn well Sony is using an OS based on open source code while not seeming to share anything useful back to the community. Google damn-near does it with Android and not having to share back is a big drive for them to de-GPL their userspace and create their Fuchsia kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

So you're OK with companies taking the code, making a better version and keeping it proprietary without giving anything back.
                    Of couse not! This was a hook to BSD/MIT lovers and drive attention that projects like this are a very dangerous Trojan Horse to the Free Software community/ecosystem.

uutils seems interesting, but I dislike the license. This is just free lunch for corporations and their minions. I hope someone forks it as GPLv3+ and makes it a lot better than upstream.

Comment

Working...
                    X