Rust Porting Begins For Intel's "e1000" Linux Network Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oleid View Post

You mean i++. Or was it ++i. Actually it is very common in code bases to require "one operation per line", so that "++i" has to live in it's own line.
    I was thinking about for loop, but it's done differently in Rust.

That betas were mathematicians. In mathematics it is very common to start a proof with "Let".
    Yes, but at first it didn't make any sense in conjunction with variable declaration.

Comment

Originally posted by reba View Post

Exactly. And it is used as a declaration: "Let x be an element of the set of all natural numbers" = "let int x;"
      What an 'improvement' over: int x;

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

What an 'improvement' over: int x;
        It sure is, compared to
        Code:
        SomeEnterpriseDataStructureWithAReallyStupidlyLongEnterpriseyName<ThatIsAlsoGenericOverAnotherEnterpriseStructWithAnEquallyStupidlyLongEnterpriseName<WhichItselfAlsoHasAGenericParameter<AdNauseum>>> x;

Comment

Originally posted by bachchain View Post

It sure is, compared to
          Code:
          SomeEnterpriseDataStructureWithAReallyStupidlyLongEnterpriseyName<ThatIsAlsoGenericOverAnotherEnterpriseStructWithAnEquallyStupidlyLongEnterpriseName<WhichItselfAlsoHasAGenericParameter<AdNauseum>>> x;
          What wasn't said in this thread (at least I didn't notice) this 'let' word is more helpful to compiler rather than humans. In this context it makes more sense.

Comment

Pretty excited for this. though a small part of me hopes so I find it unlikely, cannot help but wonder if there could be preformance improvements come of this too.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

OpenZFS

Could care less about the technical reasons, just imagine how fun that thread will be
              That thread would be downright boring. A reimplementation of ZFS would have none of the licencing issues.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                In this source unit: https://github.com/fujita/rust-e1000.../rust_e1000.rs

48 unsafe keywords in 1224 lines. And that is generous because many unsafe sections span many lines. An example of a longer one is this:
                https://github.com/fujita/rust-e1000..._e1000.rs#L219

Is that really worth it? Perhaps in future there will be more infrastructure to access the raw parts in a safer manner.

That said, it is very fun to see drivers written in higher level languages. A cool project!
                > 48 unsafe keywords in 1224 lines

You need unsafe to communicate with C code and as it was mentioned, it uses a lot of C bindings because there is no Rust code in the kernel itself.

> it is very fun to see drivers written in higher level languages

Rust is not a "high level language". There is no garbage collector or reference counting in the Kernel for example. It has more modern APIs but that does not make it a "high level language", you still manipulate data at a low level(like arrays/slices).

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post
                  It's against duplication, so we can't use ternary conditional operator, but it has SIX string types same time. I can't figure out who their target developers are.
                  Are you talking about these?

I know:
                  • std::ffi:OsString
                  • std::ffi:CString
                  • std::String

See also std::ffi documentation

They have their corresponding view types (c.f. std::string_view in C++). That's probably how you reached six types.

Biggest difference to C and C++ when it comes to strings is that they aren't YOLO types, i.e. when you construct one of these types (without unsafe keyword) the standard library checks that they are valid. And their API guarantees that they stay valid.

The first ffi type, OsString is operating system defined. It is used for interfacing with the file system (without having to pay the conversion to std::string), and CString is a null terminated string with undefined encoding. The corresponding view can be used wherever you need a char pointer in C.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    Cool!

What driver or subsystem of Linux would you like to see ported to Rust?
                    Direct Rendering Manager

Comment

fucking virus ...

Comment

Working...
                      X